You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Battery Drain

I have an iPad Pro 10.5inch (2017) running 13.4. I've been having issues with rebooting and battery drain for some time. The 13.4 update and a reset seem to have solved the random rebooting issues, but the battery issue is terrible.

I left just two apps with back ground refresh last night, and locked the screen at 11pm with 100% battery. This morning it was dead. Every morning it is dead. It also takes forever to charge, which makes it as good as useless the next day.

I need it for my degree. All my notes etc are on it, and I can't use it unless I'm attached to a power source. My hubby's old iPad mini is still going strong, so I don't understand what my iPad's problem is. I've attached a screen shot - GoodNotes has the highest percentage use, but I was trying to get it to do a back up of my notes yesterday, incase I lose them. No app usage is appearing over night during the battery drain, so does that mean it's a system problem, or possibly a hardware one?

HELP!!!! I'm desperate - have assignments due.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 2:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 5:36 AM

Given you difficulties, I recommend that you ensure that your iPad data is backed-up to iCloud or iTunes - then work through increasingly thorough reset steps.

When you’re ready, try these one at a time - moving on to the next step if unsuccessful in resolving the problem.

1) Reset All Settings (this will not erase your data):

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

You’ll need to re-input any WiFi settings after the reset.

2) Erase All Content & Settings (this will erase you data):

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings

Your data can be optionally restored from your backup after the reset. For expediency, you may wish to verify that any problems are resolved prior to restoring your data.

3) Restore your iPad to Factor Settings (this procedure will erase any data present on the iPad):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

This process will completely reset your iPad and install a fresh copy of the most recent version of iPadOS supported by your iPad.

Per step #2, your data can be optionally restored from your backup at conclusion of the restore process. For expediency, you may wish to verify that any problems are resolved prior to restoring your data.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2020 5:36 AM in response to Bloneg

Given you difficulties, I recommend that you ensure that your iPad data is backed-up to iCloud or iTunes - then work through increasingly thorough reset steps.

When you’re ready, try these one at a time - moving on to the next step if unsuccessful in resolving the problem.

1) Reset All Settings (this will not erase your data):

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

You’ll need to re-input any WiFi settings after the reset.

2) Erase All Content & Settings (this will erase you data):

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings

Your data can be optionally restored from your backup after the reset. For expediency, you may wish to verify that any problems are resolved prior to restoring your data.

3) Restore your iPad to Factor Settings (this procedure will erase any data present on the iPad):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

This process will completely reset your iPad and install a fresh copy of the most recent version of iPadOS supported by your iPad.

Per step #2, your data can be optionally restored from your backup at conclusion of the restore process. For expediency, you may wish to verify that any problems are resolved prior to restoring your data.

Apr 8, 2020 2:47 AM in response to Bloneg

First, lets tackle the immediate usability problem - recognising that this is not intended to fix the issue, but instead make your iPad usable without being tethered to a wall socket... this being a very useful attribute if you rely upon a portable device. Right now, given the current problems in getting access to “physical” resources, this serves (at least) as a practical and pragmatic interim measure.

You should invest in a “good” high-capacity Power Bank. The will serve as an external portable battery to both charge and simultaneously power your iPad (and other portable devices) whilst away from a socket. Ending later today, Zagg (one of many high quality manufacturers - and one of those whose products are carried by Apple in their online and physical stores) have a 25% Off sale if you buy from them directly.

I both use and recommend this:

https://www.zagg.com/en_uk/powerstation-usbc-3xl

The current Zagg Sale makes this very attractive, but other lower-capacity/cheaper alternatives are available from their website. Just remember, capacity is king! The suggested model also supports PD Fast Charging - this being a feature of your iPad Pro that will provide significant benefit.

Now, with the immediate usability issue addressed, we can consider cause and remedy of potential problems...

The first and perhaps most obvious item to try is a forced-restart of your iPad - as this often resolves both isolated issues and resets unexpected power hogs:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If these measures don’t improve matters, we can go deeper into potential remedies.

I hope these suggestions prove to be helpful - and move you closer to resolution.

Apr 9, 2020 3:24 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the advice. The battery was a good idea.

The forced restart doesn't seem to have helped. Last night I charged it to 100%, and then put it into airplane mode. This morning it was dead again. Picture below. If there are no apps running, and wifi/bluetooth are turned off (I think that's what airplane mode does), does that mean I have a hardware problem?

One funny thing did happen after I turned off airplane mode. I couldn't get the wifi button to turn on again. It didn't come back on when airplane mode was switched off, and I couldn't manually change it. I had to reboot the iPad again and then manually flick it back on.

Apr 11, 2020 8:00 AM in response to LotusPilot

It took many attempts to restore the iPad. I had to delete all content and settings a couple of times before my MacBook could actually restore my iPad without error messages. It turns out backups had been failing with errors since the start of April, and the still occasional random reboots meant that I couldn't back it up on my MacBook. At one point I thought my iPad was a goner. But it worked, and after being left for around 15 hours, it was still at 100%. I must admit background refresh is still off, but I can live with that. Thanks so much for your help!

iPad Pro Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.