You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Placing clips at specific point in timeline?

Is it possible to place a clip at a specific point in the timeline? I'm trying to make a music video. I added the audio and imported a clip I'd like to put at, say, 1 minute and 30 seconds to sync it with the music. Then add other clips before and after it in the same way.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 6:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 7:25 PM

Clips in the main timeline are “magnetized” so that they slide together. Therefore one cannot place clips at specific points in the time line. However, you can insert black backgrounds of suitable duration as spacers, and get separation on your clips that way.

But . . . you can insert clips at specific points in the auxiliary time line above the main time line. They can be located any place along the timeline that you want. You can slide them around. You can’t add transitions per se, but if you put your cursor on the clip fade handles will appear in the upper corners of the clip that lets you ad fades..

-Rich

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2020 7:25 PM in response to Mondoaction

Clips in the main timeline are “magnetized” so that they slide together. Therefore one cannot place clips at specific points in the time line. However, you can insert black backgrounds of suitable duration as spacers, and get separation on your clips that way.

But . . . you can insert clips at specific points in the auxiliary time line above the main time line. They can be located any place along the timeline that you want. You can slide them around. You can’t add transitions per se, but if you put your cursor on the clip fade handles will appear in the upper corners of the clip that lets you ad fades..

-Rich

Apr 8, 2020 8:02 PM in response to Mondoaction

I forgot to mention that the clips need to be placed on top of another clip or on a black background to access the auxiliary timeline that exists above the main timeline. So, you could put a black background of the duration of your movie in the main timeline, and then add your clips above it in the auxiliary timeline.

-- Rich

Apr 9, 2020 2:33 PM in response to Mondoaction

Hi,

It sounds like you are describing iMovie.

I take it that you don't like the "magnetic" feature where clips added to the timeline click together and cannot be separated with spaces in between. True, that's the way iMovie works. However, you can add black backgrounds as spacers to separate the clips the way you want.

If you want total control, create a project and place a black background in the time and adjust its duration to the expected length of your movie. Then put your video clips in the auxiliary timeline above the black background. You can slide them around to where ever you want. You cannot add transitions, but you can put your cursor on the clip and two slider fade handles will appear in the upper corners of the clip. You can slide them to create a fade at the beginning and/or the end. If you hold down the Option key you can move one slider individually.

I haven't used any other video editor than iMovie, so I don't know about the features that other video editing apps might have.

-- Rich

Placing clips at specific point in timeline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.