You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.15.3 and 10.15.4 Catalina Persistent Wi-Fi Speed Drops - Tx Rate Drops

Hello,

I've recently started to notice severe speed drops with the Wifi on my Mac. I've narrowed down the problem to some kind of a software issue with OS X Catalina. I've updated from 10.15.3 to the supplemental 10.15.4 update today however it made no difference.

Problem:

• When performing a speed test the Tx Rate drops from 1300 / 867 Mbps down to <100Mbps almost immediately. On the speedtest the download speed consequently falls from 230Mbps to about 60Mbps or less.
  • Outside of speed testing this causes issues with lag during video streaming, inconsistent download speeds etc.

My reasoning as to why this is a software problem with the OS X Catalina:

• I have Windows 10 installed in bootcamp on the same machine and when I ran a speed test on the exact same network there, it is consisntely 246Mbps from start to finish of the speed test and I experience no issues at all. This leads me to believe it is not a hardware issue with either the laptop or the network but a software issue with the Mac OS X.
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi works flawlessly at ~240Mbps accross all devices in my network. This includes my iPhone 11
  • I haven't changed anything on my network recently and it was working perfectly fine at full speed on my Mac for at least 3 years with the same router and laptop.
  • Issue is persistent and no amount of restarting of either the laptop or router has any effect.

Troubleshooting steps already tried with no effect:

1. Remove all of the relevant Wi-Fi preference files in SystemConfiguration folder and reboot
  2. Create new network location and apply
  3. Connect to 2.4Ghz network to check for stability - same problems except speed drops are even more severe and the connection becomes at times unusable.
  4. Reset NVRAM - Done and no effect
  5. Run system updates - Updated to 10.15.4, no outstanding updates in App Store - no effect
  6. Checked network activity in activity monitor - nothing unusal using significant bandwidth
  7. Tried different browser - same issue on Chrome and with Steam game downloads
  8. Restarted router
  9. Turned off Apple watch
  10. Turned off Bluetooth
  11. Rebooted in Safe Mode - Same issue

My MacBook:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
  • Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x152)
  • Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.111.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1600.4)
  •  Software Versions:
    •  CoreWLAN: 13.0 ((null))
    •  CoreWLANKit: 13.0 ((null))
    •  Menu Extra: 13.0 ((null))
    •  System Information: 12.0 (1500)
    •  IO80211 Family: 12.0 (1200.12.2b1)
    •  Diagnostics: 1.0 (910)
    •  AirPort Utility: Not Installed

Router:

• Virgin Media Hub 3.0

I've ran out of things to try at this stage. Anybody experiencing the same issues?

Thanks,

Kamil

MacBook

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 4:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 5:20 AM

It was the router after all. The Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0 for some reason became unstable after 3 years. I've put it into Modem mode and bought a new ASUS RT-AC85P router. Now the Wi-Fi is literally perfect. Tx rate is 1300 Mbps at all times and I'm getting my full line speed (240 - 245 Mbits) on all speed tests.

SOLUTION: Get a new router (at least in my case)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 5:20 AM in response to Kamil18l

It was the router after all. The Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0 for some reason became unstable after 3 years. I've put it into Modem mode and bought a new ASUS RT-AC85P router. Now the Wi-Fi is literally perfect. Tx rate is 1300 Mbps at all times and I'm getting my full line speed (240 - 245 Mbits) on all speed tests.

SOLUTION: Get a new router (at least in my case)

10.15.3 and 10.15.4 Catalina Persistent Wi-Fi Speed Drops - Tx Rate Drops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.