You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2011 QHD (1440p) resolution

Hello folks,

Looking for an answer as my local Apple Support wasn't able to find a solution.

I have a Mac Mini (2011 model) that supports up to 2560×1600 resolution through the Thunderbolt port, and 1920×1080 through the HDMI port (source). I also have a DELL display with QHD (2560×1440) resolution, and also a HDMI cable supporting this resolution (tested with a MacBook Pro on the same display).

The first curious thing is that I can surpass the officially supported 1080p with HDMI, and can reach a resolution of 2048×1152.

Now here comes the problem. I want to connect the Mac Mini to the display with support for the full QHD resolution. Since the Thunderbolt port is compatible with the Mini DisplayPort standard, I used a thrid-party Mini DisplayPort—HDMI adapter with the HDMI cable, but the resolution remained the same 2048×1152.

Since both the display and the HDMI cable support the desired resolution, the culprit is either the Mac Mini or the adapter. I've read on a forum, that I might need to buy an active adapter. I've also checked the Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort—HDMI adapter from Apple's website, which might or might not work with my model. I can't tell, and neither could Apple.

I'm stuck without a solution. Does anyone have any advice or relevant experience regarding this? I really want that shiny QHD resolution.

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 7:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 4:58 AM

An odd quirk with that year Mini is that any HDMI connection,

even with the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter is that any

HDMI connection is limited. Discovered that with my 2011

MacMini Server. The only way to get the full resolution is

Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt or a MiniDisplayPort to Mini or

just DisplayPort cable/adapter.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 10, 2020 4:58 AM in response to twyzeas

An odd quirk with that year Mini is that any HDMI connection,

even with the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter is that any

HDMI connection is limited. Discovered that with my 2011

MacMini Server. The only way to get the full resolution is

Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt or a MiniDisplayPort to Mini or

just DisplayPort cable/adapter.

Apr 9, 2020 1:57 PM in response to den.thed

Hey den.thed, thanks for the reply.

My display is a Dell U2715Hc and it boasts a wide range of connectors including

• 2 HDMI (MHL) connectors
  • 1 Mini DisplayPort
  • 1 DisplayPort (version 1.2)

I haven't realized there is a Mini DisplayPort before, so probably going with a regular Mini DisplayPort cable could do the trick. It's just so rare, that I thought a HDMI adapter would be a more universal solution. Thanks for the tip!

Mac Mini 2011 QHD (1440p) resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.