You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What able to use to connect an old iMac to 3rd gen iPad Pro

• Please excuse what must be a simple-simple question. What cable should I use to connect my old iMac (late 2015: Four USB 3 ports) with my brand new 3rd gen iPac, with its USB C port? I want to use it to transfer data (particularly videos) from my iMac to iPad. TIA.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 9:13 AM

You can use AirDrop to do transfers wirelessly. Here is an article from Apple Support that may help if you’re unfamiliar with setting up AirDrop;

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/use-airdrop-to-send-items-ipadf0a1530e/ipados

2 replies

Apr 10, 2020 9:21 AM in response to Beren_1

No problem, Beren_1, that's what we're here for.

just a minute----are you sure you have a 3rd generation iPad, just a plain iPad, no Pro on that ? the only reason I'm asking is that it was the last one to support the old 30 pin dock connector. The newer ones use Lightning. SO you'd need a Lightning to USB-C cable. Unless you had a 3rd generation iPad Pro. which has USB-C, so USB-C to USB 3. X.. should be around $20+ shipping

that's it

John B

What able to use to connect an old iMac to 3rd gen iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.