You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Laptop has no Anywhere option in Security & Privacy??

Hello all, I am trying to figure out why I am not able to select the option to allow apps downloaded from Anywhere when I open System Preferences > Security & Privacy??

I makes me login to make changes, but the option Anywhere is no longer available.

The only choices provided are to allow apps from App Store / App store and Identified Developers now, neither of which is what I am looking for.

I am confused what has changed here, as it used to offer a choice to open apps downloaded from Anywhere before, but that seems to have been removed somehow....

Can someone explain to me how / why this occurred please, and Thanks in advance??

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 11:33 AM

That option was removed some time ago. You can restore it but Apple does not recommend that you do for security reasons.

How to Return “Anywhere” Option to Security & Privacy Preferences

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder. At the prompt, copy and paste:

sudo spctl --master-disable

To remove “Anywhere” option, copy and paste:

sudo spctl --master-enable

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 10, 2020 11:33 AM in response to zacklloyd9

That option was removed some time ago. You can restore it but Apple does not recommend that you do for security reasons.

How to Return “Anywhere” Option to Security & Privacy Preferences

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder. At the prompt, copy and paste:

sudo spctl --master-disable

To remove “Anywhere” option, copy and paste:

sudo spctl --master-enable

Macbook Pro Laptop has no Anywhere option in Security & Privacy??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.