You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble combining PDF documents in Preview (Catalina)

I am having trouble combining pages from one PDF document into another. I am using macOS 10.15.3 (Catalina) on a MacBook Pro using the current version of Preview.app. Here's what I see:

• I open both documents in Preview.app
  • I turn on Thumbnails
  • I attempt to drag a thumbnail from one document into the proper position in the other PDF.
  • One of two things happens:
    1. The dragged-page goes to the start of the destination document. But I cannot drag from that position to the desired location.
    2. The dragged-page will not "go into" the destination document at all.

Any ideas how to address this? What other information could I provide? Thanks.

PS I also reported odd behavior saving modified PDF files. I don't know if these problems are related, but you can see my other report at: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251265835

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 6:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 7:09 AM

Answering my own question:

I worked around this by opening the original document, then choosing File -> Export as PDF... and saving as a different filename. The resulting file appears to work as expected.

My supposition is that there is some voodoo PDF permission/locking/stunt in the original file (that my bank placed on the file) that prevented Preview from operating on it.

<rant>

It would be really helpful if Catalina's Preview would suggest "The original file cannot be modified. Export it as a PDF to remove the voodoo cruft and use it as you wish."

</rant>

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 12, 2020 7:09 AM in response to AntonioEsteban

Answering my own question:

I worked around this by opening the original document, then choosing File -> Export as PDF... and saving as a different filename. The resulting file appears to work as expected.

My supposition is that there is some voodoo PDF permission/locking/stunt in the original file (that my bank placed on the file) that prevented Preview from operating on it.

<rant>

It would be really helpful if Catalina's Preview would suggest "The original file cannot be modified. Export it as a PDF to remove the voodoo cruft and use it as you wish."

</rant>

Trouble combining PDF documents in Preview (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.