You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud verification failed on mac catalina

Hi,

I recently updated my MacBookPro to Catalina and ever since I am unable to sign in to iCloud on the device via system preferences. On entering my credentials, I get 'verification failed - an unknown error occurred'.

I am able to sign in with the correct credentials on my iPhone and can access iCloud via a browser. The issue prevents the use of airdrop, FaceTime etc.

I have tried changing my password but get the same result.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 7:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 7:36 AM

I had a similar issue with MBP and Catalina lately. First I noticed I could not use my valid credentials to log in to App Store and Music. Someone said log out of iCloud and back again. Well, then I could not sign in to iCloud anymore. Error message varied from app to app, but in System Preferences it would say "Verification Failed: There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server".

Other Macs, iOS devices, and Apple ID and iCloud web sites worked fine. So there was something with this particular Mac.

After hours of trying safe boots, different networks, I deleted the remaining account (MS Exchange), and also could not reconnect to that. That motivated me to try deleting the ~/Library/Accounts directory (https://www.sunzala.com/fixed-apple-id-an-unknown-error-occurred/). Afterwards, I could log in to both iCloud and Exchange accounts.

Of course not without trouble; all my local mailboxes disappeared in Mail, and I had to re-import them from a folder found in ~/Library/Mail directory. It's surprising as local mailboxes should not be connected to any Internet account anymore.

Probably reinstalling and restoring data from backup would do the same thing, but more slowly...

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2020 7:36 AM in response to pireland_1993

I had a similar issue with MBP and Catalina lately. First I noticed I could not use my valid credentials to log in to App Store and Music. Someone said log out of iCloud and back again. Well, then I could not sign in to iCloud anymore. Error message varied from app to app, but in System Preferences it would say "Verification Failed: There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server".

Other Macs, iOS devices, and Apple ID and iCloud web sites worked fine. So there was something with this particular Mac.

After hours of trying safe boots, different networks, I deleted the remaining account (MS Exchange), and also could not reconnect to that. That motivated me to try deleting the ~/Library/Accounts directory (https://www.sunzala.com/fixed-apple-id-an-unknown-error-occurred/). Afterwards, I could log in to both iCloud and Exchange accounts.

Of course not without trouble; all my local mailboxes disappeared in Mail, and I had to re-import them from a folder found in ~/Library/Mail directory. It's surprising as local mailboxes should not be connected to any Internet account anymore.

Probably reinstalling and restoring data from backup would do the same thing, but more slowly...

iCloud verification failed on mac catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.