You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv 4k not accepting my 8k hdmi lead as being good enough for dolby vision on my sony kd55ag8 tv

Apple 4k tv tested my hdmi for suitability to switch to Dolby vision hrd and would not switch to that format so reverted back to standard format. So i purchased a high grade 8k hdr hdmi cable. Apple tv still wont accept the cable as being suitable. I have a Sony kd55AG8 OLED TV that has dolby vision capability on all hdmi inputs so not sure what the problem is with my apple tv 4k.

Apple TV 4K, 13

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 7:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 4:32 PM

It used to be that particularly Sony devices needed their HDMI ports to be configured for Enhanced (or similarly worded) use. Even if they are capable of HDMI 2.0+, they may default to HDMI 1.4, unless changed in TV settings?

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 14, 2020 11:53 PM in response to QuickPost

Hi

Yes my apple tv works perfectly well with all HDMI leads. When setting up for use with my new Sony KD55AG8 I noticed that the Apple TV needed to test the HDMI lead in order for it to switch to DOLBY VISION the test failed and it reverted back to standard connection. The HDMI lead that I was using was a high speed lead so surprised it failed. My new HDMI lead is an 8K 60 which is capable of 120 at 4K so should be more than capable of passing the Apple TV 4K test.

Apr 15, 2020 11:17 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks Urquhart1244 - it turns out you were right, I went through the TV settings again and found that HDMI 1 & 2 had to be switched to receive Dolby Vision or HDR. Many thank, its not always easy wondering around settings to find what you are looking for.

Apple Tv has now switched on Dolby Vision but to be honest I am not very impressed. It has now subdued the colours and doesn't appear to be as sharp so have switched back to standard settings and everything now looks better. I think I will live without Dolby Vision and HDR which does a similar thing to the picture.

Apple tv 4k not accepting my 8k hdmi lead as being good enough for dolby vision on my sony kd55ag8 tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.