You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DictationIn Catalina

I am continuing to have difficulty dictating using Catalina. My Mac OS version his 10.15.4

Dictating with UK English is virtually impossible as it is so slow and unreliable. Dictating in American English is somewhat easier, though unreliable. Often words started with capital letters for no reason. More often everything shuts down and then I have to Close and open voice control and restart the computer to get everything going again.

Obviously being in the UK it is difficult to dictate with American English. This is not what I paid for!

I have been dictating many years previously using Dragon but now with Catalina this is not possible. Dragon was superb, accurate and reliable.

I would greatly appreciate any help from anybody.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 9:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 6:56 AM

Anthony William Murray wrote:

I am continuing to have difficulty dictating using Catalina. My Mac OS version his 10.15.4

Dictating with UK English is virtually impossible as it is so slow and unreliable. Dictating in American English is somewhat easier, though unreliable. Often words started with capital letters for no reason. More often everything shuts down and then I have to Close and open voice control and restart the computer to get everything going again.

Obviously being in the UK it is difficult to dictate with American English. This is not what I paid for!
I have been dictating many years previously using Dragon but now with Catalina this is not possible. Dragon was superb, accurate and reliable.

If neccessary you can always fall back to your periouc macOS if this is mission critical.

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

If you need further help with your issue—Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2020 6:56 AM in response to Anthony William Murray

Anthony William Murray wrote:

If neccessary you can always fall back to your periouc macOS if this is mission critical.

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

If you need further help with your issue—Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Apr 19, 2020 9:21 AM in response to Anthony William Murray

I have been given some good support by Apple support services. Now I am dictating reasonably satisfactory but I still have one main problem. I have been given some good support by Apple support services. No I am dictating reasonably satisfactory but I still have one main problem. As you can see when I dictate I get duplication. How do you stop that happening? Also after dictation for a short time maybe 30 40 seconds it turns off and I have to double-click FN As you can see when I dictate I get duplication. How do you stop that happening?

Also after dictation for a short time maybe 30 40 seconds it turns off and I have to double-click FN to commence typing again to commence typing again

DictationIn Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.