You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2018 upgrade

My MacBook Air (Retina 13-inch 2018) shows that macOS Catalina is not available. how can I upgrade my machine to the latest macOS Catalina? I tried to run this command on Terminal: (sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored), but it did not work. I would appreciate your help. Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 1:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 1:49 PM

You should perform a Time Machine backup, and check if vendors have any replacements for 32-bit applications, printer and scanner drivers, or specific Catalina compatible versions available — before proceeding with a Catalina upgrade.

If you have any third-party software installed that has 32-bit, or Catalina incompatible kernel extensions installed, entirely remove those applications before the upgrade. Office 2008/2011, and earlier 32-bit Office 2016 suites are not supported in Catalina. Nor is any Adobe Suite older than CC, or applications that require Java 6 — which is unsupported in Catalina.

Once you have done both paragraphs, see if you can download Catalina from the Mac App Store, and proceed with the upgrade in that manner.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 15, 2020 1:49 PM in response to Hilalalhajri

You should perform a Time Machine backup, and check if vendors have any replacements for 32-bit applications, printer and scanner drivers, or specific Catalina compatible versions available — before proceeding with a Catalina upgrade.

If you have any third-party software installed that has 32-bit, or Catalina incompatible kernel extensions installed, entirely remove those applications before the upgrade. Office 2008/2011, and earlier 32-bit Office 2016 suites are not supported in Catalina. Nor is any Adobe Suite older than CC, or applications that require Java 6 — which is unsupported in Catalina.

Once you have done both paragraphs, see if you can download Catalina from the Mac App Store, and proceed with the upgrade in that manner.

MacBook Air 2018 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.