You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using MacTV to create a wireless monitor to a Macbook Air

Hello,

I am trying to create a cleaner home office, and as my desk is in the centre of the room, minimise the amount of cabling running to the desk.

I am therefore looking to have a wireless solution wherein I use my wireless network to connect devices, namely a MacBook Air as the main unit (sitting either on the desk also as a monitor) with a permanent monitor that remains on my desk.

Am I correct that I can use the MacTV console to plug into the monitor and that the MacBook will connect wirelessly to the MacTV and this monitor. Can I then configure to use both screens at the same time? What must the monitor have in terms of tech specs to achieve this?

If this is not an option, what other options are out there to connect MacBook Air to a monitor?

Thanks

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 11:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 1:04 AM

A MacBook Air can use AirPlay to use a TV or HDMI monitor as mirrored screen or as second screen, using an Apple TV set-top box. That part is true.

I wouldn’t recommend just for the wireless part, as it has some drawbacks.

- lag. There is a slight delay that isn’t present with a wired connection.

- depending on the graphics strength of the computer, it may have difficulty keeping up with the action on screen.

- AirPlay screen mirroring is based on screen-capture movie generation, which is technically of lesser quality at the pixel level.

- AirPlay screen mirroring resolution is limited to 1080p @30 fps max.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2020 1:04 AM in response to dayton210

A MacBook Air can use AirPlay to use a TV or HDMI monitor as mirrored screen or as second screen, using an Apple TV set-top box. That part is true.

I wouldn’t recommend just for the wireless part, as it has some drawbacks.

- lag. There is a slight delay that isn’t present with a wired connection.

- depending on the graphics strength of the computer, it may have difficulty keeping up with the action on screen.

- AirPlay screen mirroring is based on screen-capture movie generation, which is technically of lesser quality at the pixel level.

- AirPlay screen mirroring resolution is limited to 1080p @30 fps max.

Using MacTV to create a wireless monitor to a Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.