You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabled Turn Off FileVault... Button

I need to decrypt my disk so I can update it to MacOS Catalina, and it is not letting me doing it. Is there a way to enable it? (Like as shown in the photo below)

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 8:18 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Carlosalmasque

Specify that the drive should be in an encypted or decrypted state takes only a moment. Once you make a change, your Mac will slowly and deliberately, over the next DAY of awake time, read each and every used block on your drive, and write it back in the selected state (encrypred or decrypted).

If you have recently made a change, you now need to WAIT until the process has completed re-writing your drive. Only time AWAKE can be used for this, and your Mac can continue to use the drive in a half-decrypted/half encrypted state for normal work.

--------

Normal operation of MacOS with an encrypted drive is that encryption/decryption is performed on-the-fly, with no measurable additional time needed for encryption/decryption. There is no need to completely decrypt your drive to perform a system Upgrade, unless you wanted a different encrypted/decrypted state when you were done.

Disabled Turn Off FileVault... Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.