You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac will boot from Sierra installed on external hard drive, but how do I get it to install to the laptop and boot on its own?

Recently i wiped a 2012 macbook air to get ready to sell, went to reinstall os sierra from recovery mode and it’s unable to do it on its own. Thinking i must’ve deleted some integral info somehow when i erased the drive, i figured it would be easy to just add the software to an external drive and install that way. it went seemingly great, went through the whole install process, finally booted into sierra but was still using the drive, can’t force eject or anything. when i turn the computer off and disconnect the drive and restart, the install is gone and it brings me right back to recovery mode. i connected the drive and opened is sierra again, dragging and dropping the install file into the macintosh folder this time hoping it would magically run off that file instead of the hard drive one, but nope. still boots into recovery mode. i’m really not tech savvy at all and i just want the computer to hold onto the OS install so i can sell this thing so any and all advice is appreciated!!!

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 6:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 3:55 PM

i already created a bootable disk and was able to boot / install it to the new mac, the problem is it won’t hold onto the OS, just boots back into disk utility when the external drive isn’t disconnected. how do i get the os to install from the disk and stay installed? not just continually boot from the disk i want it to be able to boot up on its own

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2020 3:55 PM in response to Eau Rouge

i already created a bootable disk and was able to boot / install it to the new mac, the problem is it won’t hold onto the OS, just boots back into disk utility when the external drive isn’t disconnected. how do i get the os to install from the disk and stay installed? not just continually boot from the disk i want it to be able to boot up on its own

Apr 17, 2020 7:36 PM in response to need_help_pls

Disconnect that drive then boot your Mac holding down Option.

You will see a hard drive icon. Does it say recovery ? Does it say Macintosh HD?

If you see Macintosh HD, hold down the Control key then click the circle arrow.

That will set the startup disk as Macintosh HD.

If that doesn't work, just reinstall from internet recovery.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Apr 18, 2020 2:04 AM in response to need_help_pls

Ok with the external drive connected, boot your mac up. Now open Disk Utilities (Applications/Utilities)

Select your internal drive in the left column, make sure you select the Disk not the indented Volume.

Click on Erase, give the Disk a name, at Format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and at Scheme

select GUID Partition Map, click on Erase. Once finished your internal disk should now be okay to install an OS on.

Quit Disk Utility.

Click on this following link, How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

go to Section 4 and click on Download macOS Sierra.

This downloads InstallOS.dmg to your Downloads folder.

When downloaded open to InstallOS.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install Sierra

but converts the .pkg to the Install macOS Sierra.app which you will find in 

your Applications folder, it should be 5.04GBs in size.

To start the installation of Sierra double click on the Install macOS Sierra.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing Sierra, so make sure you keep a copy of the InstallOS.dmg

if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install macOS.app prior to installing and moving it to

an external drive for safe keeping. It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk, using the Install macOS Sierra.app

in the Applications folder, and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

The download of Sierra was released in October 2019, after the previous installers certificates expired, so this is an updated version. When it was first released there was a problem with it, it would not create a bootable USB installer. I am not sure if

Apple has bothered itself to rectify this, but try it any way.

Your mac can install High Sierra and you can download it from here,

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

At Section 4 click on Get macOS High Sierra, this downloads Install macOS High Sierra.app

directly to your Applications folder. The installer is about 5.23GBs.

If you do not want to install High Sierra you could install El Capitan, it downloads the same way as Sierra so use the

above instructions for Sierra above. How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Mac will boot from Sierra installed on external hard drive, but how do I get it to install to the laptop and boot on its own?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.