You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid File Handle when deleting files in iCloud

Hi,

I tried migrating files out of Dropbox to iCloud Drive using Windows. All went fine until at some point of copying files (10 GB in total) the process stopped. I realized that the folder structure had been altered from the original in Dropbox. I tried deleting the files in the wrong locations, but started getting an "Invalid file handle"-error (see screen shot below).

Then i tried manually moving the folders, but got another error (0x8007017B, see below).

After starting and stopping iCloud a numbers of times, restarting the computer, etc. I copied the old iCloud content to a local folder, deleted iCloud and reinstalled. After downloading the iCloud content again, the problem persisted. If i use icloud.com, I can move and delete files, but using iCloud from Windows, I cannot change the files that exist there now.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Christoffer

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 12:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 1:38 PM

Hello,

I had the same issue while moving a document into some folders with iCloud Drive on Windows 10 (build 1909). I am using the Windows Store version of iCloud.

This issue prevented me to add new files in the folder :-(

Not all the folders are behaving this way but quite many!

To be able to add new files/folders, the only way I have is to use the iCloud web interface and to add it.

The included screenshot shows the moving issue on one folder.

When I had this issue, I was not able to create a folder also: in this case, iCloud was automatically moving it to the root of « iCloud Drive » folder!!!!

To solve this, I called the Apple service center and we found a solution: we need to move all the folders shared between the Mac and the PC to the root of « iCloud Drive » folder (not in « Desktop », « Documents » or « Downloads » subfolders)

I did this and my issue was solved after logout (and delete toon of iCloud Drive folder content) and login back again.

Hope it will help you also

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 1:38 PM in response to clandtma

Hello,

I had the same issue while moving a document into some folders with iCloud Drive on Windows 10 (build 1909). I am using the Windows Store version of iCloud.

This issue prevented me to add new files in the folder :-(

Not all the folders are behaving this way but quite many!

To be able to add new files/folders, the only way I have is to use the iCloud web interface and to add it.

The included screenshot shows the moving issue on one folder.

When I had this issue, I was not able to create a folder also: in this case, iCloud was automatically moving it to the root of « iCloud Drive » folder!!!!

To solve this, I called the Apple service center and we found a solution: we need to move all the folders shared between the Mac and the PC to the root of « iCloud Drive » folder (not in « Desktop », « Documents » or « Downloads » subfolders)

I did this and my issue was solved after logout (and delete toon of iCloud Drive folder content) and login back again.

Hope it will help you also

May 5, 2020 11:30 PM in response to clandtma

I am having the same problem, I don't think the solution is just to move files to the root, because I am using Cryptomator which creates its own root folder and the problem persist. I think this is something related with the latest update of iCloud Drive ver 11.1 for Windows. It is very frustrating trying to delete a file or folder. Sometimes I just hit delete, delete and delete many times until is gone. If I use any iOS device I can delete whatever I like in the iCloud Drive.

I Hope an update solve this issue.

This is just a Test folder under Cryptomator folder in the iCloud Drive, I can delete it under DOS command, hitting delete many times or through my iOS device.

May 25, 2020 10:11 PM in response to zqchqry

Hi,

did you try to move the folder into the root of « iCloud Drive » directory?

for me, this trick fixed the issue.

but I still have an issue while adding new files into some folders: by doing that, iCloud automatically moves them to the « iCloud Drive » root :-(...

so, a part of the issue is still pending...

@Apple Dev team: do we need to raise a ticket for this?

Invalid File Handle when deleting files in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.