You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Become identified developer

I'm developing an app in python to be installed on other computers.

I would like to avoid the issue of "unidentified developer" that will show when I give them my app.

How can I become an identified developer and not have this problem?

Thank you in advance

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 12:23 PM

You must have a paid developer account to notarize your app.

If you do not want to pay, provide instructions with your app on how people can bypass Apple's Gatekeeper to run your app. Gatekeeper is what shows the alert that your app is from an unidentified developer. Gatekeeper became more strict in macOS 10.15 so you need to provide instructions on bypassing in 10.15 and earlier systems. An Internet search for bypass Apple gatekeeper provides many articles about this, including the following from Apple:

Safely open apps on your Mac

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2020 12:23 PM in response to carlo_gava

You must have a paid developer account to notarize your app.

If you do not want to pay, provide instructions with your app on how people can bypass Apple's Gatekeeper to run your app. Gatekeeper is what shows the alert that your app is from an unidentified developer. Gatekeeper became more strict in macOS 10.15 so you need to provide instructions on bypassing in 10.15 and earlier systems. An Internet search for bypass Apple gatekeeper provides many articles about this, including the following from Apple:

Safely open apps on your Mac

Apr 21, 2020 1:06 PM in response to carlo_gava

You have to join Apple's paid developer program and notarize the app. I have not done this with a Python app, but to notarize a Mac app, archive it in Xcode by choosing Product > Archive. Then open Xcode's Organizer by choosing Window > Organizer. Select the archive and click the Distribute App button. Select Developer ID as the distribution method.

Become identified developer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.