You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive constantly needs permission to change files

When I try to do anything on my external hard drive, Finder requires me to give permission by typing in my user's password to do something as simple as renaming a folder. It always prompts me with "Finder wants to... enter your password to allow this."

I checked under the "Get Info" tab of my external hard drive to see if it was locked, but no such option was available. Is this a Finder issue or am I just blind and can't find the setting?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:33 PM

Some are on the front page of the drive and some are in other folder inside the drive.

However, I did find out what the problem was. I had the "everyone" under Sharing and Permissions on "Read Only" instead of "Read and Write" even though the user I was on had a specific "Read and Write" privilege.

Thank you anyway.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2020 9:33 PM in response to Barney-15E

Some are on the front page of the drive and some are in other folder inside the drive.

However, I did find out what the problem was. I had the "everyone" under Sharing and Permissions on "Read Only" instead of "Read and Write" even though the user I was on had a specific "Read and Write" privilege.

Thank you anyway.

External hard drive constantly needs permission to change files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.