You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I open a Word pdf in Pages files?

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 1:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 1:29 PM

You seem to have a collision of terminology in Word PDF. These are two separate document formats. Word documents can be opened (and translated) into Pages internal document format. Pages cannot open PDF documents, but you can copy/paste a single thumbnail from an opened PDF in Apple's Preview — into Pages as another document object.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2020 1:29 PM in response to carroll225

You seem to have a collision of terminology in Word PDF. These are two separate document formats. Word documents can be opened (and translated) into Pages internal document format. Pages cannot open PDF documents, but you can copy/paste a single thumbnail from an opened PDF in Apple's Preview — into Pages as another document object.

Apr 25, 2020 11:36 AM in response to carroll225

"How can I open a Word pdf in Pages files?"

"… the original was made in iStudio."

If, as these two excerpts imply, the iStudio document became a Word (.docx) document somewhere along the path to becoming a PDF file, could you not attempt opening the .docx file into Pages?

You might also try copying the text from the PDF file. This is not always possible, depending how the pdf was created, but does work in some cases:

Screenshot from a pdf displayed in Preview:

Selected text, copied and pasted here:

Poem

Ladybird beetle

It is often called Ladybug but it is really a beetle. Bugs suck. Beetles bite, but rarely bite humans. Nursery rhyme to sing / chant:

Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,

Your house is on fire and your children are gone, All except one, and her name is Ann,

And she hid under the baking pan.

All I remembered were the first two lines. Did you know all four?

Regards,

Barry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.