You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade my watch to cellular

If I purchase Apple Watch series 5 gps, can I add cellular later?

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 1:51 PM

The GPS only Apple Watch does not have a Cellular radio chip inside.

You would have to buy a Cellular Apple Watch to get that cellular radio chip.

Also, your iPhone needs to be an iPhone 6s, SE (1 or 2), 7 or newer, running iOS 13 or newer, in order to pair with a new Apple Watch.

The Cellular Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number.  This requires the iPhone cellular carrier to support the Apple Watch.  The iPhone carrier charges a monthly fee for this service.  In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to your iPhone bill.

iPhone Cellular Carriers that support the Apple Watch, which models, the radio frequencies each model uses, and the country where they offer service:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

So before you do this, make sure that your iPhone will pair to the Apple Watch, and that your iPhone carrier supports the Apple Watch.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 25, 2020 1:51 PM in response to angiemiller0327

The GPS only Apple Watch does not have a Cellular radio chip inside.

You would have to buy a Cellular Apple Watch to get that cellular radio chip.

Also, your iPhone needs to be an iPhone 6s, SE (1 or 2), 7 or newer, running iOS 13 or newer, in order to pair with a new Apple Watch.

The Cellular Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number.  This requires the iPhone cellular carrier to support the Apple Watch.  The iPhone carrier charges a monthly fee for this service.  In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to your iPhone bill.

iPhone Cellular Carriers that support the Apple Watch, which models, the radio frequencies each model uses, and the country where they offer service:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

So before you do this, make sure that your iPhone will pair to the Apple Watch, and that your iPhone carrier supports the Apple Watch.

upgrade my watch to cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.