You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 3 exercise goal much too easy

I've been logging exercise with my Apple Watch for about 18 months and it is typically somewhat challenging to close my exercise ring. I choose an Outdoor Walk and typically close the exercise ring after 30 minutes, as expected. However, over the last two days I've not done any exercise, mostly reading a book, sitting at my desk, getting up to eat, etc. Yet my exercise ring has been closing easily, without anything close to actual exercise.

It would be wonderful if I can get a full day's exercise sitting on my Lazy Boy, eating chips and drinking beer but I may be fooling myself.

What could be going on and how do I fix it?

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 12:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Similar questions

8 replies

May 8, 2020 4:52 PM in response to Community User

fieryjack, I followed the instructions in the two links you provided but it did not help. My watch typically shows me exceeding 300% of my exercise goal without doing anything more than watching TV, sitting at my desk, eating breakfast, etc.. Looking at the daily log, I seem to get exercise credit almost every hour where I get move credit; the bar graph for my Move goal looks almost the same as for my Exercise goal. I don't think this is a calibration issue because it is so far off and my heart BPM seems quite reasonable, e.g. 60 bpm while I'm writing this response. Any other ideas?

May 25, 2020 7:56 AM in response to JWYjwyoung

I would check the flights of stairs your watch is recording. That's what happened to my old Apple Watch. It started racking up an outrageous number of flights of stairs when I hadn't walked up a single flight, which translated to grossly exaggerated exercise minutes and calories burned.

Hopefully your watch is still under warranty or you have AppleCare. I spent hours on the phone with Apple Support. Several times I turned my watch on and off; recalibrated it; unpaired it; etc. Nothing worked. Mine was no longer under warranty and I didn't have AppleCare so I had to buy a new watch. If you have a Costco membership they've had the series 5 on sale recently. And I made sure to get AppleCare this time.

May 25, 2020 9:23 AM in response to awuserjan

Thank you, awuserjan. It is true that my watch is showing excessive stairs climbed. I've not paid much attention to that because my house has 5 levels and each level has a short flight of stairs so I normally do an uncountable number of stairs every day. Already at 9 am this morning my watch shows "23 flights climbed" and I'm half-way toward meeting my exercise goal with no real exercise other than walking around the house. My heartbeat does not significantly increase walking up a mere 10 stairs. However, I'm not sure how that relates to Apple's definition of their "Exercise" goal, which I believe is elevated heartbeat for 30 minutes.

Regardless, with no warranty I probably need a new watch.

Apple Watch Series 3 exercise goal much too easy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.