You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Stacks and customizing positioning?

Stacks are great! It's helped clean up my desktops.

However, a feature that I feel may have been "overlooked" is the ability to create fixed, predictable positions of the folders and stacks on the desktop. Otherwise, depending on your sort order preference, you never know where a folder will be in the lineup -- that's not a good UX.

Am I missing something, as I've not see any other way to accommodate this. I'd like to be able to position folders (even, specific ones) so that my desktop is consistent and where I want it to be, along with stacks.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 1:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 1:32 PM

There is a Group Stacks By menu item, but beyond that, if you click the Desktop and then ⌘+J to show the Finder view settings for the Desktop, if you set the stack by to None, instead of Kind, it turns off Stacks and you have scatter again.

You can send feedback directly to the macOS product team about this, as there is no user control over where stacks are positioned on the Desktop.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2020 1:32 PM in response to Forrest

There is a Group Stacks By menu item, but beyond that, if you click the Desktop and then ⌘+J to show the Finder view settings for the Desktop, if you set the stack by to None, instead of Kind, it turns off Stacks and you have scatter again.

You can send feedback directly to the macOS product team about this, as there is no user control over where stacks are positioned on the Desktop.

Using Stacks and customizing positioning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.