You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos

If I use iCloud Photos but still download and keep originals on my phone via the photos application, do I need to include "photo library" in my backup as it takes up a lot of my iCloud space?

What I am wondering is when I get a new phone, will I need to include my photo library in the iCloud backup to get all my photos on my new phone in the photos app OR will having iCloud Photos turned on be sufficient? From the research I've done, I am pretty sure having them in iCloud photos would be enough.

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 1:51 PM

If you have iCloud Photos turned on in a device, the photos are automatically excluded from an iCloud Backup of that device.

See the following from What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Voice Memos3, Messages in iCloud, iCloud Photos, and shared photos.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2020 1:51 PM in response to bmachado96

If you have iCloud Photos turned on in a device, the photos are automatically excluded from an iCloud Backup of that device.

See the following from What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups only include information and settings stored on your device. They do not include information already stored in iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Voice Memos3, Messages in iCloud, iCloud Photos, and shared photos.

iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.