You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Keynote, I want to reduce the dimensions of an image.

To be clear, I don't care about reducing the file size in MB, rather - I simply want the pixel height and width to reduce in proportion to the original image.

However, I can only resize the dimensions up to a point. I can't make them go as small as I want. Is there a lower limit for reducing the dimensions of images? If so, is it possible to remove this limit?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 4:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 7:19 AM

changing image size in Keynote

1. click on the image, shape or video to select
  2. go to: Inspector > Format > Arrange and select the option to Constrain proportions (orange arrow)
  3. to change the image size; either, click on one of the corner handles and drag outward to enlarge or inwards to reduce

or enter the pixel dimensions in the size box (green arrow)

• image sizes can be as small as 1pt x 1 pt:

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 7:19 AM in response to gbm22

changing image size in Keynote

1. click on the image, shape or video to select
  2. go to: Inspector > Format > Arrange and select the option to Constrain proportions (orange arrow)
  3. to change the image size; either, click on one of the corner handles and drag outward to enlarge or inwards to reduce

or enter the pixel dimensions in the size box (green arrow)

• image sizes can be as small as 1pt x 1 pt:

Apr 29, 2020 2:41 PM in response to gbm22

This is not normal behaviour for Keynote

• what file type is the image? eg TIFF, JPEG, PDF, PNG
  • what happens when you re-size a shape (Insert > Shape), can it be made 50x50 pixels?

Try the following repair; which will uninstall Keynote and install a fresh version:

• open Launchpad (Applications > Launchpad) type Keynote in the search box,
  • click on Keynote icon until it jiggles then click the X button
  • Restart the Mac and download keynote from the Mac App Store again.

Apr 29, 2020 8:30 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Actually, I had followed (to the letter) all the steps you outlined (1-3) before writing:(

My problem is precisely - for every image that I upload - there is a limit on how small I can make it under constrain proportions.

The lower limit seems to be 220x240.

The problem is the same regardless of the original file type (jpeg, png).

This is my first day using Keynote.

Apr 29, 2020 3:41 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks Gary,

I kinda sorta solved this.

If I drag an image directly from my desktop into Keynote, then I can indeed shrink the dimensions to as little as I like.

The issue I've described only occurs when I use "Insert>Image Gallery" and either drag the image into the box there or search and select an image.

Any idea why this might be? Anyway, no need to conduct a great deal of research into this. I'm satisfied with the workaround I've found.

Thanks again for your help.

In Keynote, I want to reduce the dimensions of an image.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.