You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsure on how to connect my iMac and MBP

Hi,

So I'm looking to connect my MBP and iMac so that I can duel-screen and use my MBP as an extended screen or the other way around.

My iMac is as follows;

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

And MBP:

Apple MacBook Pro (16" 2019 i9)

I read about using a Thuderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 adapter and thunderbolt cable but then read that's not possible with retina displays? And then on one of the Apple support pages about using a Mini DisplayPort cable?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 7:15 AM

Sorry but further research is a waste of time, it will not work. iMacs are computers and are not external displays for other computers. If the MBP needs an external display, please buy one. Sorry there are NO work arounds, your question is very frequently asked and the answer is always the same, nope not going to happen.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 7:15 AM in response to cprowe

Sorry but further research is a waste of time, it will not work. iMacs are computers and are not external displays for other computers. If the MBP needs an external display, please buy one. Sorry there are NO work arounds, your question is very frequently asked and the answer is always the same, nope not going to happen.

Unsure on how to connect my iMac and MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.