You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview not working

Preview Application on my MacBook Air not working. The application keeps opening up a pdf that i had opened via an email attachment. Thereafter there are 2 or 3 blank windows behind the Preview window. I have to force exit every time. Nothing else works on the application. Ive tried restarting and shutting down. But the same thing keeps happening no matter what I try opening. PLEASE HELP!

Running mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 1:28 PM

Press the shift key and launch Preview by itself. This prevents it from loading its last (messed up) saved application state. Quit Preview. Now, when you open a PDF email attachment it should behave. Remember, email attachments do not have a filesystem path yet, so be sure to save what you opened in Preview.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 1:28 PM in response to yasmin_94

Press the shift key and launch Preview by itself. This prevents it from loading its last (messed up) saved application state. Quit Preview. Now, when you open a PDF email attachment it should behave. Remember, email attachments do not have a filesystem path yet, so be sure to save what you opened in Preview.

Apr 29, 2020 3:18 PM in response to yasmin_94

yasmin_94 wrote:

Preview Application on my MacBook Air not working. The application keeps opening up a pdf that i had opened via an email attachment. Thereafter there are 2 or 3 blank windows behind the Preview window. I have to force exit every time. Nothing else works on the application. Ive tried restarting and shutting down. But the same thing keeps happening no matter what I try opening. PLEASE HELP!
Running mojave 10.14.6

If after VikingOSX advice above does not resolve—

it could be a corrupt plist. If so you want to delete the com.apple.Preview.plist

From the Finder>Go>Go To Folder> copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.plist

delete and reboot the machine. plist automatically get rebuilt.

If still no resolve— reinstall the combo update on top of your existing macOS

Combo update 10.14.6 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Preview not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.