You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos - which ones are optimized, back-up concern.

How can I tell which photos have been optimized?

I have plenty of room on my hard-drive, is it still optimizing some of my photos?

If I drag a photo to an email does it go out and grab the full-resolution photo in iCloud?

If I drag the file photo.library over to an external drive for backup, is it going to grab the full-resolution photo version from iCloud.

I know I could choose to not optimize and avoid all these issues. But, am curious about the above.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 1:42 PM

Photos does not have a tool to tell you which photos have been optimised.

You cannot backup an optimised Photos Library by copying it.

When you copy the library to an external volume, the copy will be incomplete. When you open the incomplete copy of the library, the optimised originals will be missing. In Photos 4 or older (on macOS 10.14 Mojave) Photos will remove all optimised versions from the library. The albums and projects will be incomplete. The copy of the library will be nearly useless. In Photos 5 on catalina the incomplete evrsions will appear as blank thumbnails showing he gaps in the albums.

To back up an optimised iCloud Photos Library you need to download the library with "optimse stairage" disabled. Create a full copy on an external volume. I would do this from a different user account, for example: How to back up an optimized iCloud Photos Library - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 1:42 PM in response to relieflp_

Photos does not have a tool to tell you which photos have been optimised.

You cannot backup an optimised Photos Library by copying it.

When you copy the library to an external volume, the copy will be incomplete. When you open the incomplete copy of the library, the optimised originals will be missing. In Photos 4 or older (on macOS 10.14 Mojave) Photos will remove all optimised versions from the library. The albums and projects will be incomplete. The copy of the library will be nearly useless. In Photos 5 on catalina the incomplete evrsions will appear as blank thumbnails showing he gaps in the albums.

To back up an optimised iCloud Photos Library you need to download the library with "optimse stairage" disabled. Create a full copy on an external volume. I would do this from a different user account, for example: How to back up an optimized iCloud Photos Library - Apple Community

Mac Photos - which ones are optimized, back-up concern.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.