You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave ⌘R boot goes to internet recovery automatically, then to 1008F.

I know I'm on borrowed time, but I use too many 32-bit apps to upgrade to 10.15. I even have a LaunchAgent that kills the upgrade notification icons . Mojave is the only system upgrade I've ever performed on my 2017 T2 chip MacBook Pro. I didn't intend to go to internet Recovery, anyway. But I change my SIP settings occasionally and I don't seem to be able to boot into Recovery. So I have two problems. First, how can I restore local recovery? I have the latest Carbon Copy Cloner and a current backup. Has anyone ever restored it using that? Will an in-place install of latest Mojave fix it? I certainly don't want to take the time and trouble to wipe and install, so I won't be happy if that's the only way to fix it.

2nd, how can I restore internet recovery? My network settings specify ethernet through an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter. Do I have to set it to Wi-Fi to use internet recovery? What else could cause that to fail? Although I don't remember using internet recovery on this machine, I've certainly used it before on this network, both ethernet and Wi-Fi.

Thanks.

Posted on May 6, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 9:51 AM

I just thought I'd follow up in case someone else comes across this problem in a search. My computer is being shipped back after repair. I don't have it yet, but I called to find out details. Apparently, Apple did what they normally do to a computer under AppleCare+ that has hardware failure. They replaced logic board, top case and battery, etc. It's just hard for me to imagine that hardware failure seemed to affect nothing besides the Recovery Mode boot.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2020 9:51 AM in response to Goxlet

I just thought I'd follow up in case someone else comes across this problem in a search. My computer is being shipped back after repair. I don't have it yet, but I called to find out details. Apparently, Apple did what they normally do to a computer under AppleCare+ that has hardware failure. They replaced logic board, top case and battery, etc. It's just hard for me to imagine that hardware failure seemed to affect nothing besides the Recovery Mode boot.

May 6, 2020 1:22 PM in response to Goxlet

Goxlet wrote:
First, how can I restore local recovery?
I have the latest Carbon Copy Cloner and a current backup. Has anyone ever restored it using that? Will an in-place install of latest Mojave fix it? I certainly don't want to take the time and trouble to wipe and install, so I won't be happy if that's the only way to fix it.

2nd, how can I restore internet recovery? My network settings specify ethernet through an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter. Do I have to set it to Wi-Fi to use internet recovery? internet recovery automatically, then to 1008F.

Interent Recovery -1008F Error code states something is inadequate with your Network.

Reinstall the combo update to get your Recovery partition back

Combo update 10.14.6 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

or

reinstall macOS on top of your existing macOS to get recovery back - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

May 7, 2020 9:28 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your reply.

I don't believe the network is an issue, because I also have a 13" T2 MacBook Pro that does everything I tried to do on my 15" without any problem. I bypassed the combo update, but have since performed in place installation as you suggested, but the recovery volume wasn't successfully created, and trying to boot from Recovery again went directly to Internet Recovery which again failed (-1008F) both with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter as well as through the Wi-Fi network, for which I was prompted for the password to join. I've even gone to the extent of downloading and creating the latest Mojave installer on a flash drive, booting from the Recovery partition on that drive, erasing the internal drive, then installing Mojave to the empty drive. The local Recovery partition still didn't appear and the same sequence of events occurred when I tried to boot into Recovery after completing the installation.

Apple support guided me through reconciling possible problems with my Apple ID and network listings for my hardware. All of that was quite trivial to accomplish but made no difference even after more attempts to reinstall. I don't know whether it's possible for the T2 chip itself to fail, or whether some other hardware condition is interfering, but Apple has issued a return for my computer because I do have AppleCare+. Honestly, I don't know how hardware could be interfering because all actions other than the original issue have been trivial to accomplish. I'm planning to wipe my drive again, install an unpersonalized Mojave (mainly to insure that no one performs an upgrade to Catalina) and see what Apple will do for me.

Mojave ⌘R boot goes to internet recovery automatically, then to 1008F.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.