You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to upgrade to Catalina now?

My imac is still Mojave, last year a lot of people had problems with their imac after upgrading it to Catalina (computer keeps crashing), I want to know if its safe to upgrade it now? Is there still problems with it?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 7:35 AM

12 replies

May 7, 2020 7:58 AM in response to Yumie96

People report "problems" with every single major and minor point release of the OS. Literally - every one. It's the same as being able to find, without exception, bad reviews on every product sold online.

I've been using Catalina full time since 10.15.1. That had more to do with waiting for the third party apps I need to become fully compatible than anything else.

Are there still problems with it? Yes. And there are still problems with Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, Mavericks, Yosemite, Mountain Lion, you get the idea. Software this complex will never, ever be perfect.

Being self-employed, my Mac is my income. I do not experiment with it. With every major OS release, it gets installed to a new, blank partition, along will all of the third party software I use. That allows me to take my time setting up the entire OS clean. But much more importantly, it allows me to test for compatibility before I jump in. In the meantime, I can keep using the previous OS where I know things work.

May 7, 2020 8:15 AM in response to Yumie96

Yumie96 wrote:

My imac is still Mojave, last year a lot of people had problems with their imac after upgrading it to Catalina (computer keeps crashing), I want to know if its safe to upgrade it now? Is there still problems with it?

There were never any major problems with Catalina, no show stopping bugs. If you visit a town you’ve never been in, go to the local hospital and see nothing but sick people, would you assume the entire town is full of sick people? If you took the time to research back you would find that every single release of macOS is greeted with claims that it is the absolute worst software every foisted on users. Most issues are caused by user action or inaction.

Finally, if you are scared then by all means stay on Mojave forever.

May 7, 2020 8:59 AM in response to lkrupp

Im not really "scared" I previously had a imac 2012, after upgrading to Catalina, it gave me major problems, when ever I tried shutting it down, sometimes it would restart instead of shutting down and whenever it shuts down, the fan would go at high speed and would make loud noises

I just gotten a new imac and I dont want to go through the same problem again

Is it safe to upgrade to Catalina now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.