You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Aid Error Exit Code 8

For some weeks I have been trying to solve a problem with my mid-2011 iMac running on OS X 10.12.6. After running without problems for ~9 years it suddenly started to respond very slowly and occasionally crashed but worked again normally on rebooting. However, running First Aid it always failed at the stage of checking catalog file with the Error Exit Code 8. Restarting in the Safe Mode First Aid always gave the same result but restoring from my Time Machine HD always restores perfectly and Exit Code 0 after running First Aid. Unfortunately this only lasted for various intervals of time. I think I have exhausted all the manoeuvres to try to remedy the corruption. I have completely erased the HD; re-installed OS X 10.12.6; removed all unwanted apps and apps that have a reputation for causing problems, checked that In don't have malware, run First Aid after using each of the apps that I use on a regular basis to check that the Exit Code 8 hasn't reappeared.

One fact that may be coincidental, is that the problem occurred at the time we acquired a new iPad 13.4.1and we turned on the 2-factor ID system and I started to suspect that it may be due to sharing Photos. My iMac started with 10.7 and so had iPhoto which was merged with Photos when I upgraded OS X. Certainly, when I switched Photos of in my iCloud drive option on the iMac, the problem of Exit Code 8 cropped up less frequently but unfortunately still happensens. Although I am now clutching at straws, it seems that the problem now always occurs when I am using Mail. I use Mac Mail and as with the iPhoto > Photos with the upgrades I was switched from @.mac.com (Mobileme) to @me.com or @icloud.com. Does any of this make any sense to anybody and if so do you have any solutions? Just one final point, in between times my iMac runs as if it is bran new so I am assuming that it is a file corruption and not a hardware problem but I am probably being naive!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 8, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 8:39 AM

That hard drive is definitely bad and needs to be replaced.

You may be able to install macOS to an external hard drive and boot your iMac from the external drive. However, the internal drive could interfere with the operation of the external boot drive, but at least this is an expensive way of getting by in the short term if it works. If you go for the external boot drive option I would zero out the beginning of the failing drive so it will appear blank to macOS which may minimize the chance of the failing internal drive of causing interference although you will be annoyed by the uninitialized drive every time you boot.

If you use a USB drive, then the system will be very slow since this iMac only has USB2 ports. A Thunderbolt external drive would be faster and more useable, but also more expensive. Check OWC for external drive options.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2020 8:39 AM in response to nalaselig

That hard drive is definitely bad and needs to be replaced.

You may be able to install macOS to an external hard drive and boot your iMac from the external drive. However, the internal drive could interfere with the operation of the external boot drive, but at least this is an expensive way of getting by in the short term if it works. If you go for the external boot drive option I would zero out the beginning of the failing drive so it will appear blank to macOS which may minimize the chance of the failing internal drive of causing interference although you will be annoyed by the uninitialized drive every time you boot.

If you use a USB drive, then the system will be very slow since this iMac only has USB2 ports. A Thunderbolt external drive would be faster and more useable, but also more expensive. Check OWC for external drive options.

May 12, 2020 11:59 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, apart from downloading and running Alsoft Disc Warrior, I have tried all the manoeuvres you suggest. My iMac is a late 2011. It came with OS X 10.7 installed but I have upgraded over the years to 10.12.6 and all the available upgrades for it and the other apps I run have been installed. The only action that always works is erasing and restoring from my Time Machine HD. I have taken this off automatic and backup manually at regular intervals when First Aid confirms everything is OK and the Exit Code is 0. So far this has meant that I have not lost any data. I also back up some individual app data on USB sticks, e.g. Quicken. Unfortunately, the Restore fix lasts varying amounts of time from days to minutes. It shows itself usually by a slow keyboard response to the Catherine wheel spinning for ~30 secs. Since I have made the various corrections, it never actually crashes as it did when the problem first came to note.

I have come to the conclusion that HWTech is correct in suggesting that I have a HD that is in the process of failing (see my response). Thanks for your help & time.

Alan

May 13, 2020 12:22 AM in response to HWTech

I am sure you are correct that my HD is in the process of failing but I will follow your advice and check with DriveDX. If that does prove to be the case I suspect the best option in the long term is to replace my iMac. However, I would like to do that in person at an Apple Store rather than online, which is impossible at the moment. I have a spare WD ext HD, which has more than enough capacity to back up the int HD. As an interim solution, would there be any problem using that as a working or as an alternative HD should the int HD progress to complete failure?

Thanks for you help. i will report back on the DriveDX finding.

Alan

May 14, 2020 9:02 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks! That is all great advice and you have convinced me I have to replace my iMac asap as the least expensive option in time & money in the long run. Fortunately they have just announced relaxing some of the Covid-19 lockdown in France where I live so i should be able to get to an Apple Store or distributor to discuss exactly what I want. Once again, great advice and thanks.

Alan

First Aid Error Exit Code 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.