You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app store not responding

The app store is not responding on my macOS Catalina and is up to date. The problem is it doesn't open up and just shows that rotating rainbow.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks guys!!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 8, 2020 10:27 AM

3 replies

May 9, 2020 11:36 AM in response to steviepeee

Hello steviepeee,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to use the App Store on your Mac, as it doesn't open as expected. First, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

May 12, 2020 8:46 AM in response to steviepeee

Thanks for replying, steviepeee, and that additional info, it really helps! Since you don't have this issue in a new user, please see these steps on how to log out of your Apple ID in the App Store app on your Mac:

"Open the App Store.

If you're signed out, click Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.

If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Store > Sign Out, then click Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password."

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

You can also see if this is related to things that open when you log into your user account, like security software that could cause this issue, and here is more info:

If your Mac has a blue screen or other startup problems

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

May 9, 2020 6:38 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for your response. I tried all but didn't work. I tried creating a new user and that new users "app store" app worked. The problem must have something to do with my apple ID. Any advice on how to make it work. I tried to find how to sign out my apple id from the app store in the hopes of perhaps resolving it, but couldn't find where to sign out my faulty apple ID. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

app store not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.