You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iPad 5th Generation A1822

Hello, any advice would be fantastic!!!

I bought an iPad 5th Generation A1822 for my son's birthday in 2017.

In 2018 he wasn't being very careful with it (again) and shattered the screen.

It was very expensive to fix at the time and we live a couple of hours from the city. It was bought brand new from Harvey Norman.

We wanted to Use it for Primary School Remote Learning home schooling so two weeks ago I just had it fixed. It wasn't just the screen it was the sensor as well.

The problem I have is...I can't remember what apple id or password I set his up with. My son used to love changing the password all the time and we don't know what it is.

I have a new iPhone and an apple id which is talking to the iPad for setting up but we are stuck at the email /password part.

We are not looking at saving any of the data.

Last year I went to the genius bar and was given these restore instructions.

1. Plug iPad into computer
  2. hold down the home button and the sleep button at the same time
  3. The iPad will turn off and then quickly restart
  4. Once it restarts and shows the Apple Logo take your finger off the sleep button but continue holding down the home button.
  5. The iPad will then display a picture of the Itunes logo.
  6. Leave the iPad on this screen on the computer click Itunes
  7. The computer will then say ..Do you want to restore the iPad?
  8. Click yes.

I followed these instructions, however at the top of the screen on the iPad it said

apple/support/ipad

Since the time the iPad was broken I have changed my phone number and email address. so I don't know how to find any any info.

Any advice would be great!!!

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 1:30 AM

Have a look a this - If you forgot your Apple ID password – Apple Support

3 replies

May 9, 2020 3:39 AM in response to Heyche7

Your question implies that your original screen repair might have been completed by someone other than an Apple Authorised Repair Agent. If so, issues with the TouchID sensor are to be expected - as this key security component must be reset during a screen repair; third-party repair agents, outside of Apple’s approved network, do not have access to the necessary software.

That aside, if you have forgotten your AppleID or associated password, these can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Unless you AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured, or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201354

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com

I hope this information and explicit guidance resolves any problems with accessing and managing the AppleID account associated with the device.

May 9, 2020 8:45 AM in response to Heyche7

If you can't get this iPad to ever work again, purchase a new 2019, 7th gen iPad, purchase a heavy duty, impact resistant enclosed case by Otterbox AND purchase the extended AppleCare+ warranty so if your son does damage to this new iPad again, you will have some long-term Apple warranty coverage for the device.

I think your Apple unauthorised, third party repair has damaged that iPad and made it faulty beyond any more fixing/repair.

Sorry & Good Luck to You!

Restore iPad 5th Generation A1822

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.