You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" 2019 Target Display Mode not working with MBP 16"

I have iMac 27" 2019 and MacBook Pro 16" 2019 and tried to connect iMac as external display through Thunderbolt3 (original MacBook complete cable).

I connected MacBook to iMac, charging works but I have a system warning message:

Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory
Connect accessory using Thunderbolt-capable cable.

shortcut Command+F2 on iMac not working.

macOS 10.15.4 Catalina on both Macs

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:15 PM

It will not work, because your 2019 iMac does not support being used as a display in Target Display Mode.

see > Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

May 9, 2020 12:19 PM in response to golovanovd

Target display mode became unsupported after the Late-2014 iMacs were released, and besides, qualified iMacs cannot be running any macOS after High Sierra. No support for your 2019 iMac.

Consider Screen Sharing from your 2016 MBP to the 2019 iMac. Set it on the MBP on the System Preferences : Sharing panel, and use the Screen Sharing application from /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications which you drag and drop on your Dock. If your MBP computer name is foo, then you enter foo.local in the Screen Sharing application on your iMac. Give the MBP time to boot up to a screen before attempting to connect.

iMac 27" 2019 Target Display Mode not working with MBP 16"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.