You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie length/speed errors

I'm trying to add a clip on top of another one in iMovie so that I can select picture-in-picture. When it's in the media browser it's 3.4 minutes, but when I add it to the timeline it becomes 3.6 minutes which completely throws off the synced audio. Anyone know what could be causing this?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 9, 2020 8:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 10:47 PM

The frame rate of the clip may be slightly faster than the frame rate of the project, or maybe the clip has a variable frame rate.

Try control clicking on the clip and selecting Show Speed Editor from the drop down menu that appears. That will cause a speed adjustment slider to appear in the upper right hand corner of the clip. Move it slightly to the right to slow down the frame rate to bring it in sync with the audio. It makes it easier if you first expand out your timeline with the slider next to the Settings Button above the timeline on the right hand side of your screen.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2020 10:47 PM in response to not_necessary

The frame rate of the clip may be slightly faster than the frame rate of the project, or maybe the clip has a variable frame rate.

Try control clicking on the clip and selecting Show Speed Editor from the drop down menu that appears. That will cause a speed adjustment slider to appear in the upper right hand corner of the clip. Move it slightly to the right to slow down the frame rate to bring it in sync with the audio. It makes it easier if you first expand out your timeline with the slider next to the Settings Button above the timeline on the right hand side of your screen.

-- Rich

iMovie length/speed errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.