You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime bummer

HI everyone

I have several friends with iphones that i cannot facetime video

We have confirmed that their facetime is on and enabled.

I do have the numbers and email addresses affiliated with their accounts stored

i am able to facetime video them via my iphone

If they initiate a Facetime video call to me i am able to answer and it works, i can then recall them from my facetime history, however i cannot initiate a new facetime video call with someone who has not all ready called me in the past.

I have turned facetime on and off, all that has succeeded in doing is turning the one contact that i was able to call into one that i now am not able to call.

The device is an ipad pro 11" purchased in 2019

I am at a complete loss as to the reason this isnt working.

please help

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 10, 2020 12:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 2:12 AM

After frustratedly pacing up and down cursing the apple gods with terrible blasphemous thoughts,

the problem seems to have solved itself. .

They all magically just started working.

and that is it i guess folks. Miracles are apparently a thing now

Similar questions

4 replies

May 10, 2020 1:03 AM in response to g1mme

Sometimes Apple's clearance server gets confused with telephone number formatting. I recommend that you always register Contacts phone numbers in E.164 format (international format). You don't say what country you[r contacts] are in, so I will use Great Britain as an example.

If your contact's phone number is 07123 456789, change it to +447123456789. Your phone will properly space it out into +44 7123 456789. This will prevent Apple from erroneously searching for 07123 456789 in the wrong country -- and failing to find your friend.

If this explanation wasn't clear, just reply with the country or countries you care about and I will give you more information.

Good luck.

May 10, 2020 1:15 AM in response to Shichimi

Hi there Shichimi

I have used both the international dialing format as well as the local dialing format when i was troubleshooting the problem.

I have also tried using only email addresses which doesn't work either

I have also just noticed an option that called "calls from phone"

If i have that disabled then the ipad is effectively bricked when it comes to using facetime. it does not allow audio or video calls even though i am connected to the wifi at home.

Thank you for your suggestion though. I appreciate it.

Facetime bummer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.