You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant get into internet recovery mode.

I have this funky old pre owned 2008 mac pro, and im trying to get into internet recovery mode, but i cant.

Currently this mac powers OS X El Captain. Every time i turn the mac on it starts up in recovery, and i cant install mac os as it says "this item is unavailable". I have the recovery hd drive but it wont show up in my drives, i have 5 spare drives and wish to use 1 but they are the ones that say the item is unavailable. Im not too sure if this is a big issue but im using a wireless keyboard and/or my microsoft keyboard to try to get to intermet recovery. Obviously ive not set the keyboards up to sync but they type fine. I press the said keys command alt and r and still nothing happens but the apple logo and the standard loading screen for utilities etc. Ive looked everywhere and tried everything, yet cant seem to find a solution. Maybe someone can walk me through it? Oh and all the other drives are completely empty by the way. (Apart from recovery hd).

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 10, 2020 6:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 11:49 AM

Hello,

You may need to prepare a macOS installation disk using another Macintosh.

How to upgrade to macOS 10.11 El Capitan - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

I cant get into internet recovery mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.