You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod setup always gives error 301009

Bought a brand new Homepod, but every time it gives an error 301009 when trying to set it up.

Have tried everything from the Apple support side, all comments on this and other forums.

Also had my wife and son try with their Apple id's but also, always error 301009

What a crap!

This issue exists since 2018, Apple still has no correct answer for this?

If not, then I can only return this Homepod ands demand my money back.

Posted on May 10, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 7:53 AM

See If you can’t set up HomePod - Apple Support. Make sure that you meet all the prerequisites in the Get started section of Set up and use HomePod - Apple Support. In particular HomePod may not work if your router has client or wireless isolation security features enabled.

tt2

4 replies

May 12, 2020 12:57 AM in response to turingtest2

Have a TP-Link 4G wifi router, looks like the homepod does not like that for setup. Even though all Apple router setup recommendations are set on my router.

Tried to do the homepod setup by using my iphone and macbook as described by an article I found on Reddit, see steps below.

This worked! Updated the homepod on this connection as well and after that hooked everything back to my 4G wifi router and all works fine now.

Still weird, not allowed to do setup with a 4G wifi router but all fine with an iPhone over the same 4G with the macbook as the wireless access point.. Hope Apple puts this in the documentation since this was quite an headache to find out!!

Here the steps to do Homepod setup when having a 4G wifi router, iphone and macbook:

1. Turn your Mac's WiFi on, ensure Personal Hotspot is enabled on your iPhone, then plug your iPhone into the Mac via USB.
  2. Check the internet connection on your Mac. If webpages are loading correctly you're good to go. Do not select your iPhone Personal Hotspot through the WiFi menu, otherwise the connection will be shared via WiFi/Bluetooth, but you want it to come via the cable.
  3. On your Mac, head to System Preferences > Sharing. On the "Share your connection from:" dropdown, select "iPhone USB." On the "To computers using:" checkboxes underneath, select "WiFi." If you've never used Internet Sharing before, set a WPA2 password by clicking on "WiFi Options...".
  4. Now, connect your iPhone to the WiFi network being generated by your Mac (this will typically named something like "[John]'s MacBook Pro." I've found that this step usually fails on the first try or two. Keep selecting the WiFi network on your iPhone and, eventually, it should connect.
  5. Next, turn on your HomePod(s). (If they have already been set up on a different WiFi network, you will have to first reset them per Apple's instructions.) Hold your iPhone near to the HomePod and proceed to set it up as usual.

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/8wcvvc/how_to_use_homepod_with_personal_hotspot_mac/

Homepod setup always gives error 301009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.