You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find the proper cable to migrate from Macbook Air 2012 to Macbook Pro 2020

I'm trying to migrate everything from my old Macbook Air, and when I do it via wifi, the estimated completion time is in the thousands of hours.

So, to transfer at a faster speed, I'm looking for a cable to connect the two, which would need to be a Thunderbolt 2 male (from the old computer) to the Thunderbolt 3 (new macbook pro), but all I'm able to find is a female to male version, which won't work unless I also buy a male to male thunderbolt 3 cable.

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a male to male cord (or suggestion any other way) to be able to migrate without having to spend almost $90 (for both the cords) for just a one-time use?

Posted on May 10, 2020 11:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 11:54 AM

Wifi is never the answer when transfer large amount of data.

Macbook Air 2012

MacBook Air 5,2 (13-Inch, Mid 2012) - Full Information, Specs ...

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-mid-2012-specs.html

It seems Apple would have recommended this adapter when you purchased new:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

This seems the most common adapter to use with all USB peripherals— so maybe more handy than a " one-time use" problem.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2020 11:54 AM in response to dearbhlafromtoronto

Wifi is never the answer when transfer large amount of data.

Macbook Air 2012

MacBook Air 5,2 (13-Inch, Mid 2012) - Full Information, Specs ...

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-mid-2012-specs.html

It seems Apple would have recommended this adapter when you purchased new:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

This seems the most common adapter to use with all USB peripherals— so maybe more handy than a " one-time use" problem.

Can't find the proper cable to migrate from Macbook Air 2012 to Macbook Pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.