You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Going with new iPad Pro instead of my MacBook. Need Photo help.

Hi,

I'm getting a new iPad Pro 2020 and want to go exclusively with it. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro which I'd like to retire.

My iPhone photos are automatically stored on both iCloud and on the MacBook by design. I pay for additional iCloud storage.

If I go exclusive with an iPad Pro, how are photos managed? Will they be automatically stored on my iPad drive like they are on my MacBook, or just stored in iCloud?

I'm trying to figure out how much storage to get on the new iPad Pro. If photos are stored on the iPad, I will obviously need to go with the 1TB storage, as I am almost maxing out my 500GB MacBook drive primarily with photos and video.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 12, 2020 11:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 11:24 AM

Yes - it doesn't matter whether it is a Mac, an iPhone or an iPad. iCloud photos is a synchronization service, not an archival storage service. Photos must simultaneously live on both all devices sharing the same iCloud account, and in your iCloud storage allotment. And when you delete a photo on any device, it is deleted in both iCloud and all other connected devices.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Robert Palumbo

Yes - it doesn't matter whether it is a Mac, an iPhone or an iPad. iCloud photos is a synchronization service, not an archival storage service. Photos must simultaneously live on both all devices sharing the same iCloud account, and in your iCloud storage allotment. And when you delete a photo on any device, it is deleted in both iCloud and all other connected devices.

May 12, 2020 2:52 PM in response to Robert Palumbo

When using iCloud photos, yes, and independent backup of all photos and videos is always recommended. Since iCloud is a sync service, it should never be viewed as an actual backup. So you backup to a computer, or to some archival online storage like DropBox or google drive.

On your iPhone and iPad, if you choose the setting to optimize storage, then a reduced resolution copy is kept on the device (the full resolution copy can be downloaded from iCloud as needed).

Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support and Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

May 12, 2020 1:18 PM in response to Michael Black

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I think I have a better way to ask my question.

On my MacBook, my photos take up 230gb of space. On my iPad (not the new one I've yet to purchase) photos take up only 7.4 GB of space and 7.39 of space on my iPhone.

I'm trying to figure out why my iPhone automatically stores a copy of photos taken to my MacBook, because if I no longer use the MacBook, I'll want photos stored on my new iPad Pro. But with your response, and other research I've been doing since posting the original question, I'm wondering if any of my devices need hard copies automatically stored from my iPhone since everything is in iCloud. I'm thinking the benefit of automatically storing a copy of iPhone photos to my MacBook is to have a backup for iCloud.

The difference in hard drive space taken up by photos is confusing me and the answer is going to effect how large a storage drive I purchase on my new iPad Pro. I'm wondering if it's a good practice to have a backup of photos on my new iPad Pro, just as it is now presently on my MacBook Pro, but I'm not sure it's really a necessity. I'm wondering if there is a setting on my iPhone that discontinues copying to my MacBook Pro, and if it has something similar if I want to direct backup copies to my new iPadPro. But again, not sure I need to do that.

Thoughts?

Bob

Going with new iPad Pro instead of my MacBook. Need Photo help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.