You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Macbook Air fan so loud?

Hello, I bought a new Macbook Air 2020 (16GB Ram, i5 - 4 cores, 512GBSSD) and am very disappointed by the noise of the fan. When I am running Chrome with one window, it is okay, but if I turn a few more windows or apps on, the fan starts to be very noisy. Cannot imagine if I start to edit the pictures in Photoshop, its gonna be like a helicopter I guess.

I didn't pay more then 2.000 USD to be disrupted by such a noise. I have the feeling the prices of Apple products are getting higher, higher, and higher but the performance stays the same. Really, deeply disappointed.

Does anyone have similar experience? Do you know how is it possible to avoid this fan noise?

Thank you

Vojtech

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 13, 2020 3:06 AM

14 replies

May 15, 2020 2:41 AM in response to vojtech_zah

vojtech_zah Said:

"When I am running Chrome with one window, it is okay, but if I turn a few more windows or apps on, the fan starts to be very noisy.[...] Macbook Air 2020 - fan is very noisy even if running few apps[...]Does anyone have similar experience? Do you know how is it possible to avoid this fan noise?"

-------

Why Risk a Faulty Device?:

Request a Swapout:

You should contact Apple Support, and request a swapout. Send-In Service is all that there is at the moment. You have a one-year out-of-the-box limited-warranty. So, make use of it, as long as you have it.

So,...

1. You: would contact Apple Support;
  2. Apple: would mail you a box;
  3. You: would ship it out to apple;
  4. Apple: will service the device; and
  5. You: will Receive it Back.

Contacting Apple Support:

1. Contact Us - Choose Locations
  2. USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE
  3. Proceed from there as Necessary

May 13, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Kamerunezu

I appreciate your help and suggestion but I am not going to use Safari. I didn't buy computer for 2k dollars to make some compromises. I am just pi*ed I want to use a regular app and even without any other apps on the sound is annoying.

Anyway I downloaded the macs fan control, it says all of the 4 CPUs have over 80 degrees of Celsius. Thats probably why the fan is working so hard.

But I guess I cannot just turn the fan off, right? I dont want to have burning Mac hahaha :D

May 13, 2020 11:36 PM in response to John Galt

Hello John, thanks for your message, but this is rediculous. I didn't buy the machine with 4 cores and 16GBs of RAM to watch processes in Activity monitor and care which one is intensive and which one not. Moreover I haven't even use anything else then Chrome and Slack since now.

The fan system in this new Mac is so st*pid and Apple should consider changing their money-first attitude and start to build machine which worths their price, otherwise they will start to loose their clients. Many of my friends keep complaining.

May 14, 2020 5:13 AM in response to vojtech_zah

Moreover I haven't even use anything else then Chrome and Slack since now.

Google Chrome will monopolize any Mac's resources regardless of its age or configuration in its mission to continually harvest and upload your personal information by whatever means necessary. Activity Monitor will reveal its multiple "helpers" and constantly automatically updating services that run all the time, whether you are using it or not. If that activity causes your Mac to perform poorly Google doesn't care. Once you install Google, it's no longer your Mac. It's theirs.

Apple does not force users into infesting their Macs with junk. If you are required to use Google products buy a Chromebook.

May 14, 2020 5:32 AM in response to John Galt

I was using Chrome since ever, my previous Macbook pro didnt have any problem and didnt make any noise even if I was using Chrome, Photoshop and other apps at the same time.

No need to protect Apple here and blame other companies for their own incapability, if I switch off Chrome and watch videos on Safari and do some Photoshop (which I think every average computer shoulda make without any single problem) it is making practically the same noise.

They built *****y product because of implementing that rediculous fan not connected to CPU. How can such a big mistake can be done by company building computers for thousands of dollars? They should take responsibility for that and fix it for free or something.

May 14, 2020 6:28 AM in response to vojtech_zah

As I wrote it is not sufficient to "switch off Chrome". Google is constantly running whether you are using it or not, doing the exact same things and in the exact same manner as a "computer virus" would do, if such a thing were to exist on Macs, which it doesn't.

They should take responsibility for that and fix it for free or something.

Fix it for free or something? Fix what exactly? The responsibility is yours and yours alone for having installed it. Accept that responsibility. Fix it yourself. Uninstall Google.

Why is my Macbook Air fan so loud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.