You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting Off External SSD

I have a 1TB external SSD that I used CCC to copy everything from my internal drive. It works great. I can select it via the option key at startup.

But this drive is not recognized as a boot drive via Preferences/Startup Disk

Is there anyway to select this disk so that it is the default boot drive? I do not want others in my household to have to remember to select Option at startup.

I am running Mojave and the disk is formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 14, 2020 5:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 12:15 PM

I wouldn't mind converting the external SSD to APFS (if I can do this without losing data).

Boot into Recovery, select the Drive, then check the Edit menu for "Convert to APFS." I imagine it will be grayed out because the drive may be using the wrong partition map (table).

Why, when I selected the external SSD did it not give me the option to format as APFS? It arrive as a ex-FAT format.

Most are either NTFS or ExFAT, but the partition table is Master Boot Record (MBR). You cannot put APFS, CoreStorage, or any Mac encryption on an MBR drive. That all requires a GUID Partition Table (GPT). Also, by default, Disk Utility only shows you the usable Volumes on the drive, not the entire drive. You have to choose "Show All Devices" from the View button in the Toolbar.

There, you can select the device and erase it completely, changing the Partition Map when you erase. You can pick a Partition Map and a Format.

In Disk Utility, change to Show All Devices, select the device (make, model, S/N) and look at what is set for the Partition Map.

Is there any way to change the the Mac OS Extended to APFS without wiping out the contents? That is what Apple did to my internal drive when it upgraded to APFS.

Not on a drive formatted with an MBR partition table. Your internal drive was formatted with a GUID partition table. While Windows can use GPT, most drive manufacturers do not use it when they format the drive at the factory. They use MBR, instead.

'Select GUID partition Table' [whatever this is - when / where do I find this?]

See above.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2020 12:15 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

I wouldn't mind converting the external SSD to APFS (if I can do this without losing data).

Boot into Recovery, select the Drive, then check the Edit menu for "Convert to APFS." I imagine it will be grayed out because the drive may be using the wrong partition map (table).

Why, when I selected the external SSD did it not give me the option to format as APFS? It arrive as a ex-FAT format.

Most are either NTFS or ExFAT, but the partition table is Master Boot Record (MBR). You cannot put APFS, CoreStorage, or any Mac encryption on an MBR drive. That all requires a GUID Partition Table (GPT). Also, by default, Disk Utility only shows you the usable Volumes on the drive, not the entire drive. You have to choose "Show All Devices" from the View button in the Toolbar.

There, you can select the device and erase it completely, changing the Partition Map when you erase. You can pick a Partition Map and a Format.

In Disk Utility, change to Show All Devices, select the device (make, model, S/N) and look at what is set for the Partition Map.

Is there any way to change the the Mac OS Extended to APFS without wiping out the contents? That is what Apple did to my internal drive when it upgraded to APFS.

Not on a drive formatted with an MBR partition table. Your internal drive was formatted with a GUID partition table. While Windows can use GPT, most drive manufacturers do not use it when they format the drive at the factory. They use MBR, instead.

'Select GUID partition Table' [whatever this is - when / where do I find this?]

See above.

May 14, 2020 7:12 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E Said:

"Mojave can boot from HFS+, but you may be right that it is why it doesn't show up in Startup Disk."

-------

I stand corrected. Go Here: I Forgot about this install: The macOS installer applies a firmware upgrade

Found this: Can I use CCC to clone an APFS startup disk to another Mac? - FAQ - Carbon Copy Cloner. As it reads: "If you attempt to clone an APFS volume to a Macintosh that has not yet received the firmware upgrade from the macOS Installer, that Macintosh will not be able to boot from the APFS volume."

May 15, 2020 8:28 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks everyone. Not sure to make of all of this.

I should have stated that this is a 2017 iMac.

When I formatted the SSD via Disk Utility, it did not give me the option of formatting as APFS.

I had read that CCC cloner process would update the SSD disk to APFS when the cloning took place. It did not.

The macOS installer applies a firmware upgrade

I am afraid that this is way over my head.

Can I use CCC to clone an APFS startup disk to another Mac? - FAQ - Carbon Copy Cloner.

Not sure this applies here, as I am booting off the same Mac. So this Mac must have had the firmware update.

I wouldn't mind converting the external SSD to APFS (if I can do this without losing data). I guess I would need to CCC back to my internal to back everything back up to what I am using today. I have read some are booting their external SSD off of APFS (while others are using HFS+) but I could not find a way to format my external SSD to APFS.

I suppose I could CCC back to my internal hard drive, use the MacOS Installer to format the external SSD (and hopefully format it as APFS), then CCC back to the external SSD. But I am hoping for something less painful than two CCC processes.

May 14, 2020 6:50 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Lawrence Hammer Said:

"Booting Off External SSD: [...]But this drive is not recognized as a boot drive via Preferences/Startup Disk[...]I am running Mojave and the disk is formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled."

-------

Use APFS for the Filesystem:

Mojave runs off of APFS - how it is running off of MacOS Extended(Journalized), I do not know. But that is probably why it is not able to be booted off of.

May 15, 2020 9:14 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

When I formatted the SSD via Disk Utility, it did not give me the option of formatting as APFS.

Then you didn't change the partition table to GUID. That is why it doesn't show up.

In Disk Utility, you need to select "Show all devices" from the View button popup menu.

Select the SSD device from the list and Erase.

Select GUID partition Table.

Some people have had problems with installing Mojave on APFS, so you may need to choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

With a GUID partition table, the Mojave install should convert it to APFS, but you could just try erasing as APFS, then install.

May 15, 2020 11:57 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your response. Confused again.

'Select the SSD device from the list and Erase.'

I think you are telling me to destroy my boot disk and everything I value on it.

Otherwise, I visit my I think you are telling me to CCC clone the external SSD back to my internal HD. Then, I think you are saying I erase my startup drive, the SSD external, then 'Select GUID partition Table' [whatever this is - when / where do I find this?], then install Mojave from the Apple install disk (which I hope I have downloaded a copy of), then CCC clone from my internal to the SSD external drive. That is a several day procedure.

May 15, 2020 12:25 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Barney-15E Said:

"Thanks everyone. Not sure to make of all of this. I should have stated that this is a 2017 iMac.[...]"

-------

You are welcome!

For thought...

Use Another Computer:

Try transferring this data using another Mac. Or maybe plug this into a PC, seeing if this drive pops up - who knows? If it works, see where things can go from there.

Booting Off External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.