You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed macOS Catalina. Now my 32bit Epson scanner does not work.

I installed macOS Catalina. Now my 32bit Epson scanner does not work. Can anyone recommend a new scanner?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 8:06 AM

It has been no secret for the last two years that Catalina would only support 64-bit applications, and peripheral drivers. Your 32-bit epson scanner drivers will no longer work. Unless Epson has recently released new driver updates specifically for Catalina, you may find yourself needing to use the fee, non-subscription, 64-bit VueScan product.

VueScan currently supports 861 Epson scanners, and if you scroll to the bottom of the link, you will see the individual supported Epson scanners, and VueScan will advise if it can drive the scanner with, or without any Epson software.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 16, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Johnnyoneleg

It has been no secret for the last two years that Catalina would only support 64-bit applications, and peripheral drivers. Your 32-bit epson scanner drivers will no longer work. Unless Epson has recently released new driver updates specifically for Catalina, you may find yourself needing to use the fee, non-subscription, 64-bit VueScan product.

VueScan currently supports 861 Epson scanners, and if you scroll to the bottom of the link, you will see the individual supported Epson scanners, and VueScan will advise if it can drive the scanner with, or without any Epson software.

May 16, 2020 1:31 PM in response to Johnnyoneleg

Unfortunately, I uninstalled the Epson App and now I can't re-install it as Mac reads it as 32 bit. What a pain!.

You don't need the Epson App (or any Epson software) to scan with Image Capture.

Give that a try before spending money on VueScan. VueScan is certainly a better scan engine than Image Capture, but most people do not need that scanning capability. If you do, it is worth the money.

I installed macOS Catalina. Now my 32bit Epson scanner does not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.