You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from old MacBookPro

I am using migration assistant to transfer programmes and data from old to new MacBookPro (mid-2012 to 2020). Both are running Catalina and are connected via Thunderbolt ports and cable. Migration assistant is running, “transferring information”, but stuck at “searching for programmes and files to transfer” for the past hour or so, with the number of found files not changing and the status bar not progressing. No time to completion indicated.

Is that how it works or should I just quit and chose another way of doing this? Is there another efficient way to transfer chosen files by hand and just reinstall latest versions of all programmes? Or would it be better to migrate from TimeMachine backup?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2020 1:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 4:39 PM

Good afternoon redshrink,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

In my experience, setting up a new Mac by restoring a backup from Time Machine is the easiest way to go. However, if you have already created a user account on your new Mac, make sure it isn't the same name as the user account you will be restoring from. (If it is, rename it and restart the computer before proceeding, or erase the HD on the new computer and start over). It's the user account with all of the data and settings you want. You don't have to install the applications.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Restore your Mac from a backup

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2020 4:39 PM in response to redshrink

Good afternoon redshrink,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

In my experience, setting up a new Mac by restoring a backup from Time Machine is the easiest way to go. However, if you have already created a user account on your new Mac, make sure it isn't the same name as the user account you will be restoring from. (If it is, rename it and restart the computer before proceeding, or erase the HD on the new computer and start over). It's the user account with all of the data and settings you want. You don't have to install the applications.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Restore your Mac from a backup

Take care.

Migrating from old MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.