You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting macbook air to thunderbolt 3 display

Hi,

I recently bought a LG 24-inch UltraFine 4K USB-C Display. I want to connect my 2017 Macbook Air to this monitor.

My Macbook air only has thunderbolt 2 (mini displayport), so the included USB-C cable does not suffice.

What cable(s) do I need in order to properly connect them?

Kind regards

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 3:28 AM

If the display is USB-C only (no lightning bolt icon next to any USB-C port), you can't use it, but if it's the LG UltraFine 4K Display sold by Apple

LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple

it also supports Thunderbolt 3 on two of its USB-C ports. Connect a Thunderbolt 3 adapter

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

to one of those ports and connect a Thunderbolt cable

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m

from the adapter to the computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2020 3:28 AM in response to AllezLagaai

If the display is USB-C only (no lightning bolt icon next to any USB-C port), you can't use it, but if it's the LG UltraFine 4K Display sold by Apple

LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple

it also supports Thunderbolt 3 on two of its USB-C ports. Connect a Thunderbolt 3 adapter

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

to one of those ports and connect a Thunderbolt cable

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m

from the adapter to the computer.

May 17, 2020 5:02 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

It is indeed the lg monitor sold by apple.

I am concerned about the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 cable.

I believe that the thunderbolt cable will transfer my MacBook data both ways.

But does the data also flow both ways in the thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?

So if I connect this thunderbolt cable which is plugged in my MacBook Air to the thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter which is plugged into this monitor, it will result in my MacBook Air screen being shown on the lg monitor?

Thank you in advance

Connecting macbook air to thunderbolt 3 display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.