You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

I need more regular usb plugs, can I add a another adapter on top, to add usb plugs?

MacBook

Posted on May 17, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 12:51 PM

Nope, don't think so. each usb plug needs up to 5 volts, and the other sockets on the digital multiport adapter need power as well, not a ton, but just enough. The adapter itself is not powered so it has to get its power from one of your MacBook's USB-C ports, which is at the most, 29 watts, maybe more ? roughly, depending on when it was made. the USB Specifications are as follows (I got this from Apple, so I didn't just make it up or pull out of my nose): USB 3.1 Gen 2.....Up to 15 W at 5 volts, USB 3.1 Gen I (aka USB 3)....up to 900 mA at 5 volts, USB 2...up to 500 mA at 5 volts, and USB 1.1, up to 500 mA at 5 volts. So if you were to try to "piggy-back" a USB adapter from your USB-C Digital AV multiport adapter, depending on what version of USB plug you had and its power demand, it might possibly work, but chances would be that you would run out of power, which would cause you problems. so whatever you plugged into the "piggy-backed" adapter might not work. I'd suggest getting a USB-C dock that's powered. It'll give you more regular usb ports, and you can be assured you'll rarely run short of power for each usb plug

john b

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2020 12:51 PM in response to a_david

Nope, don't think so. each usb plug needs up to 5 volts, and the other sockets on the digital multiport adapter need power as well, not a ton, but just enough. The adapter itself is not powered so it has to get its power from one of your MacBook's USB-C ports, which is at the most, 29 watts, maybe more ? roughly, depending on when it was made. the USB Specifications are as follows (I got this from Apple, so I didn't just make it up or pull out of my nose): USB 3.1 Gen 2.....Up to 15 W at 5 volts, USB 3.1 Gen I (aka USB 3)....up to 900 mA at 5 volts, USB 2...up to 500 mA at 5 volts, and USB 1.1, up to 500 mA at 5 volts. So if you were to try to "piggy-back" a USB adapter from your USB-C Digital AV multiport adapter, depending on what version of USB plug you had and its power demand, it might possibly work, but chances would be that you would run out of power, which would cause you problems. so whatever you plugged into the "piggy-backed" adapter might not work. I'd suggest getting a USB-C dock that's powered. It'll give you more regular usb ports, and you can be assured you'll rarely run short of power for each usb plug

john b

May 17, 2020 3:14 PM in response to a_david

I use a CalDigit TS3 dock. It has lots of USB 3 Type-A ports, as well as a USB 3.1 gen 1 Type-c and a USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C port. Not to mention Gigabyte Ethernet, DisplayPort, and a Thunderbolt-3 output port which you can attach more stuff to. Plus it provides up to 86watts of power to the Mac. Best price I found was from the Apple Store, and if you have an Apple Card (credit card), you get 3% discount is you use Apple Pay via the Apple Store 😀. Oh yea, if your company has an employee purchase agreement with Apple, that applies to the Apple Store purchase of a CalDigit TS3 as well.

You can use more than 1 Dock in the if you have more than 1 Thunderbolt 3 port on your Mac. However, more docks does not mean you can exceed the totally number of monitors that the Mac's GPU hardware can support.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.