You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is deleting user taking forever

After I created the new Admin account, I decided to delete the former user account. But it's been two days and it's still in the process. I am tired of waiting.

The Mac won't even restart.

What do I do?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 17, 2020 5:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 10:39 AM

Hello preiksha and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some difficulty deleting an old user account on a Mac.

Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

As the data that appears to be hanging things up is stuff you were trying to delete anyway, there is no downside to forcing the Mac to shutdown by pressing and holding the Power key or button for about 10 seconds. Once it has fully shut down, wait a minute and then re-boot the Mac.

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 18, 2020 10:39 AM in response to preiksha

Hello preiksha and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having some difficulty deleting an old user account on a Mac.

Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

As the data that appears to be hanging things up is stuff you were trying to delete anyway, there is no downside to forcing the Mac to shutdown by pressing and holding the Power key or button for about 10 seconds. Once it has fully shut down, wait a minute and then re-boot the Mac.

Cheers.

Why is deleting user taking forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.