You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way making my MacBook Pro not charge from an external monitor?

I have 2019 16" MacBook Pro which is permanently plugged into an LG UltraFine display.

I understand that having it permanently plugged into power will reduce battery life but I don't want to lose the use of my monitor while letting the battery discharge occasionally.

Is there a way to tell the MacBook to only output to the monitor and not charge from it?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 18, 2020 4:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 5:33 PM

Hello AndyGrayson,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're wondering if there's a way to prevent your MacBook Pro from charging through the connected LG UltraFine display when the Mac is disconnected from its charger. I would be happy to help provide more information to consider. 

The lithium battery in your Mac is designed to count a full charge cycle only when it has discharged 100% of the batteries total capacity. If it works best for you, leaving the Mac permanently connected to a charger will not negatively impact the battery life with the way charge cycles are designed to work. You can learn more about this feature by visiting the following resources: 

If the Mac is connected to another device capable of charging it using a Thunderbolt 3 port, it is expected behavior for the Mac to charge from that device when not plugged in to an AC adapter. There is not a way to disable this behavior: 

Charge your MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 - Apple Support

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2020 5:33 PM in response to AndyGrayson

Hello AndyGrayson,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're wondering if there's a way to prevent your MacBook Pro from charging through the connected LG UltraFine display when the Mac is disconnected from its charger. I would be happy to help provide more information to consider. 

The lithium battery in your Mac is designed to count a full charge cycle only when it has discharged 100% of the batteries total capacity. If it works best for you, leaving the Mac permanently connected to a charger will not negatively impact the battery life with the way charge cycles are designed to work. You can learn more about this feature by visiting the following resources: 

If the Mac is connected to another device capable of charging it using a Thunderbolt 3 port, it is expected behavior for the Mac to charge from that device when not plugged in to an AC adapter. There is not a way to disable this behavior: 

Charge your MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 - Apple Support

Take care.

Is there any way making my MacBook Pro not charge from an external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.