You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have MS Office on my current MacBook Air which I bought in 2013. I am upgrading to a new MacBook Air. Do i need to buy MS Office again, or can i port the MS office from current laptop?

I have MS Office on my current MacBook Air which I bought in 2013. I am upgrading to a new MacBook Air. Do i need to buy MS Office again, or can i port the MS office from current laptop?

MacBook Air

Posted on May 18, 2020 7:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 7:41 PM

Depends on what version of Office you have. A new Mac will be running Catalina. You will need Office 2019 or Office 365. These are not updates but full priced upgrades over previous versions.

If you have other third-party software that is not 64-bit, then they will not work under Catalina. Older software will need to be upgraded for Catalina compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 18, 2020 7:41 PM in response to girish257

Depends on what version of Office you have. A new Mac will be running Catalina. You will need Office 2019 or Office 365. These are not updates but full priced upgrades over previous versions.

If you have other third-party software that is not 64-bit, then they will not work under Catalina. Older software will need to be upgraded for Catalina compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

May 18, 2020 7:45 PM in response to girish257

girish257 Said:

"I have MS Office on my current MacBook Air which I bought in 2013. I am upgrading to a new MacBook Air. Do i need to buy MS Office again, or can i port the MS office from current laptop?"

-------

Contact Microsoft Support:

They are the developer’s of the software.

Start Here:  Microsoft Contact Us Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support

May 19, 2020 2:33 AM in response to girish257

As Kappy already explained you need either an Office 365 subscription or a stand alone Office version. Last one has to be 2016 or newer. Older versions of Office won't work with macOS Catalina as they are 32 bit software.

Which OS are you currently using? Catalina will run on 2012 or newer Air's. If you already have Catalina, it's likely just a matter of installing Office on your new Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.