You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp/Windows Install fails in Catalina (10.15.4) on 15" Retina MBP early-2013, . . . with screenshots

So I'm trying to install Windows using Bootcamp on an early-2013 MacBook Pro, retina, 15-inch.

I've been successful in launching the Bootcamp Assistant, creating a USB 2.0 boot disk (with a fresh Windows 10 purchased/downloaded on Sunday, May 17, 2020), and creating a 128 Gb partition.

Bootcamp Assistant runs, but on the 'restart', I get the black screen with "No bootable disk -- please insert bootable disk and hit any key." I hold the power button, shut down, hold alt/option, and get 3 options:

If I choose "Macintosh HD" I log into my Mac normally and as expected.

If I choose "Windows" I eventually get the black screen/no bootable disk . . .

If I choose "EFI Boot", I get a Windows logo . . . and eventually a blue screen with "Setup is Starting"

Then, I got through the following steps:

1. Choose English

2. Enter my key (it's good and accurate and is recognized).

3.Choose Windows 10 Education (as expected)

4. Agree to the license . . .

5. And then I'm presented this . . . indicating Windows cannot be installed on the Bootcamp created partition.

6. Here are the details revealed when I click the "Show details" link.

7. I've tried clicking on Refresh and Format, but nothing new changes/happens.

8. "Load Drivers" results in a dialog to find the drivers, so I downloaded the Windows Drivers as suggested by an Apple Support page. But when I click on "Load Drivers", I cannot get anything to work.

9. No matter where I try to look, I cannot find the "Setup" file as noted in any drive I have connected: the USB created by Bootcamp, the USB with the Windows Drivers, or any other drive.

So, what are my next steps? I can restore from TimeMachine and start over, but would rather work from where I am.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 19, 2020 10:45 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

May 19, 2020 4:09 PM in response to Loner T

SOME SUCCESS!

Just one difference from the instructions you provided at 1:25 PM on 5/19/20: you said to click on the Windows icon. I did that, but got the "No bootable disk found . . . " I restarted, held option/alt and chose EFI Boot and was able to click the partition with no error message.

Windows 10 appeared to install, and relaunched automatically.

However, it then began a restart, Windows logo, and BSOD with Stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and What Failed: igdkmd64.sys notification process, restarted and repeated . . .

Restart, repeat, restart, repeat . . . constant.

May 19, 2020 11:07 AM in response to Loner T

Hey Loner T . . . Thanks for a fast reply!

I know you're a pro at Bootcamp as I can see multiple other posts and your patience with other users.

Can you provide some additional details/steps as to what you think I should do? I can download GPT Fdisk from Sourceforge, but once downloaded on the Mac side, what are my next steps?

May 19, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Tek-doode

You can use the following commands (do not type text like this).

sudo gdisk /dev/disk0

x (experts menu)

n (new protective MBR)

o (print the new MBR)

p (print)

w (write)

y (confirm write)

Once the MBR has been removed, with the USB connected, reboot and hold Alt/Option and click o the Windows icon from the USB. Some USB flash drives have problems with MBR bootability.

May 20, 2020 7:24 PM in response to Loner T

Total success . . . changing from a PNY 32 Gb flash drive to a SanDisk 16Gb Cruzer utterly and completely solved the issue. Sure, there were a few minor "why is it doing that?" along the way, and at one point I had to manually restart. No big deal.

I was not able to connect to my wireless network during the process, but did so easily after installation.

Why the heck did such a small thing (one brand of USB flash drive over another) make that much difference. And WHY is that not included in any notes/searches/suggestions anywhere along the way.

Loner T, you were EXCELLENT help . . . couldn't have done it without you!

Bootcamp/Windows Install fails in Catalina (10.15.4) on 15" Retina MBP early-2013, . . . with screenshots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.