You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie will not recognize my photos library.

iMovie will not recognize my photos library. The photos app opens without issue on the Macbook Pro but I cannot get it to link to iMovie. I have tried everything. It won't even let me drag/drop movies into iMovie. It converts them to images. HELP!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 19, 2020 6:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 10:03 AM

Starr.C's post has some good diagnostics to try.

iMovie only recognizes the the system photos library. So make sure that your Photos library is designated as your system photos library in the Photos app general preferences. If the box that says "use as system Photos library" is grayed out, which is want you want, that means that the library already is your system Photos library and you don't need to do anything further. Otherwise, click the box to make it gray out.

You can also check to make sure that your system preferences authorize iMovie to access the Photos library. Go to Apple Logo/SystemPreferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy. Click on the little lock icon at the bottom of the window and enter your administrator password. Then click on the Photos item and Automation item in the side bar and see if you can add iMovie to the Photos item and Photos to the Automation item. The restart and see if you can get iMovie to read the photos library in the iMovie sidebar.

Sometimes it helps to close iMovie and close Photos, then reopen Photos and reopen iMovie. See if that triggers the read.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2020 10:03 AM in response to am_macuser457piano

Starr.C's post has some good diagnostics to try.

iMovie only recognizes the the system photos library. So make sure that your Photos library is designated as your system photos library in the Photos app general preferences. If the box that says "use as system Photos library" is grayed out, which is want you want, that means that the library already is your system Photos library and you don't need to do anything further. Otherwise, click the box to make it gray out.

You can also check to make sure that your system preferences authorize iMovie to access the Photos library. Go to Apple Logo/SystemPreferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy. Click on the little lock icon at the bottom of the window and enter your administrator password. Then click on the Photos item and Automation item in the side bar and see if you can add iMovie to the Photos item and Photos to the Automation item. The restart and see if you can get iMovie to read the photos library in the iMovie sidebar.

Sometimes it helps to close iMovie and close Photos, then reopen Photos and reopen iMovie. See if that triggers the read.

-- Rich

May 20, 2020 9:08 AM in response to am_macuser457piano

Hello am_macuser457piano,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you have not been able to add movies to iMovie. What error messages are you receiving when you use the steps from this article to add the videos to iMovie?

Add photos and videos to your iMovie project - Apple Support

This article has some troubleshooting steps which you may find useful:

If iMovie isn't working on your Mac - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Imovie will not recognize my photos library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.