You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I receive texts from certain contacts while on silent?

How can I receive texts from certain contacts while on silent? use case is I ALWAYS want to receive texts and calls from my wife. Even when my phone is in silent mode. Can I make that happen?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on May 21, 2020 8:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 8:56 AM

Open the relevant contact record. There is a setting in both the ringtone and text tone options for each contact called "Emergency Bypass". (you must enable text and ringtone options separately.

This will bypass Do Not Disturb as well as the physical ring/vibrate switch on the phone for that contact and allow the notification to ring through.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2020 8:56 AM in response to PGrosie

Open the relevant contact record. There is a setting in both the ringtone and text tone options for each contact called "Emergency Bypass". (you must enable text and ringtone options separately.

This will bypass Do Not Disturb as well as the physical ring/vibrate switch on the phone for that contact and allow the notification to ring through.

How can I receive texts from certain contacts while on silent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.